Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 Ford Bronco, 5.0 auto trans, and when I try to engage 4 wheel drive I can go into 4H once without a grind. if i try and go to 4L it grinds. if I go from 4H to 2H and then try and go back to 4H I cant without a grind. I have to shut down and then engage 4H and restart the motor. All of my transfer case experience is on manual setups 1980 and older so this auto trans and transfer case is all new to me. Just looking for some ideas on what it could be. suspect possibly a vacuum leak or the relay pack in the transmission. found that in something I read.
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the trans in neutral when switching to 4WL?
I do. I think (I cant say for sure I have specifically done it but I will as soon as I can) I have tried to put it in neutral and then turn it off and back on and I can get it to go without grinding. It has been a few months since I was at a point with it to work on the 4x4 issue but I will be soon. I hope I can get it figured out and it doesn't cost me as much as my simple Brake job that ended up over $750 with a completely rebuilt rear end job!

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, BW1356 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears, 31x10.5 Kenda A/T
905 Posts
I have a 1986 Ford Bronco, 5.0 auto trans, and when I try to engage 4 wheel drive I can go into 4H once without a grind. if i try and go to 4L it grinds. if I go from 4H to 2H and then try and go back to 4H I cant without a grind. I have to shut down and then engage 4H and restart the motor. All of my transfer case experience is on manual setups 1980 and older so this auto trans and transfer case is all new to me. Just looking for some ideas on what it could be. suspect possibly a vacuum leak or the relay pack in the transmission. found that in something I read.
Any help would be appreciated!
Mine did this exact same thing to me... kind of. So I had my Bronco for 3 days before I decided to test the T-case. I didn't lock my front hubs, just moved the stick. I was sitting stationary in my yard, in neutral, and on level ground. 2H to 4H was a very smooth and defining click. The shift to T-case neutral was just as smooth and satisfying. That is when things got interesting as I couldn't go from T-case neutral to either 4H or low without a pretty serious grind. I tried a time or 2 to give a quick pop while it was running and I just felt like I was hitting a wall. I shut the engine off and shifted to 2H. It went to 2H easily, I started it and backed up about 5 feet. Everything was good. On my way back to work I was still thinking about the grind. Why would it be grinding like something is moving in my t-case when the truck is in neutral and not moving? I still wonder. I have since used 4 low twice without having to shut the truck off or do anything unusual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I need to get it on the ground and give it a try again. I forgot to check it when I bought it. It’s still a good deal but I’m not happy it’s broke. Just my luck! 😐

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Honestly it sounds like user error to me. Ive had a few instances where I had to shut it off. The transmission needs to be in neutral to shift to 4low since it gears down. IDK about electronic models but on my manual you can shift from 2H to 4H on the fly. Were you doing this with it jacked up!?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried it several times on the ground fully stopped, slightly moving, and on the fly from 2H to 4H. I have also tried it lifted and the same happens.
I don’t think it’s user error. Been driving 4x4’s all my life both manual and auto, old and new. Heck I even googled the procedure just to make sure! LOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.