Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called 4 Wheel Parts on Saturday and they told me they had 1 Powermaster 140 amp alternator in stock for the Bronco. I went and picked it up ($275) from their warehouse, but instead of being powder coated black, the alternator in the box was chrome. I went back into the showroom and told the salesman that I did not think that this was the correct alternator, but he said someone must have put the alternator in a chrome case or something and that the box did indeed have the correct part #.

After getting home, I found a part # on the alternator which turns out to be for a GM engine. I was going to just take the alternator back to 4 Wheel Parts, but instead of waiting a couple weeks for the correct alternator, I thought maybe I would just sell this alternator on craigs list for $350 (it sells for over $400 on most web pages) and order the correct Powermaster alternator online for around $200.

Any ideas on what would be the best thing to do?

Scott

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to do the alternator swap on Saturday, which is why I bought the Powermaster.

How long do the fireguy alternators take to receive and how long of charge cable do I need? I e-mailed him a couple weeks ago and never heard back.

Scott

·
the bruise
1,401 Posts
yeah 4 wheel parts sucks, whenever you can, avoid them and go to your local guy who will most likely beat their price.

from what i understand, fireguy takes a bit to respond. i think he has a website you can go to.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$275 is highway robbery for that alternator.
Yea I agree. I just wanted to get it done and did not want just the standard 130amp upgrade. The alternator they gave me (p/n 18237) sells for $489 at 4 Wheel Parts, which is why I would like to sell it instead of taking it back to them.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts