Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Bronco, 400 -> 300 Swap

I have a 79 Bronco with a completely worn out 400. For as much as oil leaks out of it, the oil pan might as well be mesh. I didn't let it get that bad, I bought it that way. :D

Anyway, I am giving the 400 to my dad since he wants to rebuild it, and in exchange I get a completely rebuilt (stock, 5000 miles on the rebuild) 300 I6.

My question is, does anybody know what would be needed to swap the factory air conditioning from the 400 onto the 300?

Anyway, here are some pics of the Bronco, its pretty bad, but the plans are to fix what rust is left that I didn't cut off, possible boat side, cover it in bedliner and no (or very little) lift and run 37s.

When bought:

As of now:

·
Registered
560 Posts
your gonna want some lift to run 37s unless you leave the fenders like they are

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Why would you go 300? Just rebuild the 400? >-<

Because he's a jerkface. And seeing all that snow, why do you need A/C:goodfinge

Anyway...wouldn't the only difference be mounting location? So I'd imagine all you'd need is the proper mounting plate and location.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Doesn't the 400 Engine use the Big Block transmission pattern?

The 300 uses the small block transmission pattern.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would you go 300? Just rebuild the 400? >-<
Because I like the 300. Also, I don't have to spend money rebuilding the 300, which leaves more money for other things. The 300 is coming out of my Dads 79 F150, and he wanted a V8, and I always liked the 300 in his truck. (it was the first vehicle I ever drove)

Also, I didn't mention it, but there is a new 4 speed that comes with the 300, and my dad wants the auto thats with the 400.

your gonna want some lift to run 37s unless you leave the fenders like they are
The fenders are staying as is, or possible cutting a little more, we will see after I get the tires on it. If you look in the first picture, the front fenders were actually relatively rust free (minor surface rust) I like a low center of gravity. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because he's a jerkface. And seeing all that snow, why do you need A/C?
I am not a jerkface, you're a jerkface... Jerkface. :D

Our winters are cold, but our summers are hot. After two years in Iraq, I am not a fan of the heat like I used to be. give me below 60 over 70+ any day of the week. Thats why I need my A/C. :goodfinge

ETA: oops, meant to edit

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yeah those 37's will totally lower the center of gravity.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are being sarcastic, my response is: 37s with no lift will have a much lower CG than 37s with 4+ inches of lift...

If you are not, my response is: Yep, compared to lifting it. :D

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Putting the 300 I-6 would be like me putting a YUGO engine in my 95, I predict more flamage and failage to proceed so I will subrcribe to this. You will not reap any benefits from the 6, Look for a 460 even the EFI simple swaps would bolt right up and can be had at a bone yard (one near me has one with 15,000 miles for $200), that way you get better gas mileage more torque, more power, aftermarket is plentiful for these as well. Headers, heads cams, intakes, (talk to andrew james if you plan on going this route and want to convert it from EFI to carb but expect to get flamed). thats just my $.02

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Putting the 300 I-6 would be like me putting a YUGO engine in my 95, I predict more flamage and failage to proceed so I will subrcribe to this. You will not reap any benefits from the 6, Look for a 460 even the EFI simple swaps would bolt right up and can be had at a bone yard (one near me has one with 15,000 miles for $200), that way you get better gas mileage more torque, more power, aftermarket is plentiful for these as well. Headers, heads cams, intakes, (talk to andrew james if you plan on going this route and want to convert it from EFI to carb but expect to get flamed). thats just my $.02
a carbed I-6 will give him better millage than a EFI 460.

since you have both 70's trucks, part them side by side and swap stuff back and forth till everything works.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Ranger429.

That being said, I have a good 460 and C6 that I paid a whopping $100 for sitting in the shop as well.

What ever happened to personal preference and building what I want, not what other people think I should? Hmmm, dabranco? Yes... "flamage and failage" coming your way... Oh, you can keep your two cents...

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I build my stuff the way I want. I'm not here to please anyone and in the end I'm the guy driving it down the road.

To future flamers, keep it on topic or your post is deleted.

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
I think your best bet would be like mentioned above: have the two trucks side by side and make it all work.
As for your original question, i am not sure. As long as it is mounted with a belt on the pull it should work? :shrug

i6 is a sweet engine. Keep us updated on everything. seems sweet to me

-Vance

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I have all the parts to make this Bronco wheel. I have 4.56 gears front and back along with a Detroit for the rear laying in the shop, I have the engine, I have the transmission... All it needs is a little body work (rust removal) and it should be good to go. I am hoping to have it done by next summer. Its not the main project, as I am getting married in September, just bought a house and am still going to college, but hey, whats another money pit. :D

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Also, I didn't mention it, but there is a new 4 speed that comes with the 300, and my dad wants the auto thats with the 400.
Unless the 4 speed is for a 4x4 truck, you are going to have fun tracking down the adapter, output shaft, t-case shifter, etc.

Your dad is going to have an equal amount of fun trying to convert that 4x4 C6 to 2WD.

You might actually save a few $$$ buying a small block 4X4 C6

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, you are making things way too complicated, why are you assuming his truck is a 2wd? I never said that. :D

His 79 F150 is a 4x4, which has a 300 and a 4 speed in it, right this very second.

My 79 Bronco has a 400 and a C6 in it, right now.

The plan is, to take the engine and transmission out of his truck, and put in mine, and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
OK, you are making things way too complicated, why are you assuming his truck is a 2wd? I never said that. :D

His 79 F150 is a 4x4, which has a 300 and a 4 speed in it, right this very second.

My 79 Bronco has a 400 and a C6 in it, right now.

The plan is, to take the engine and transmission out of his truck, and put in mine, and vice versa.
That is an unusual setup, Most 4x4 trucks from 78-79 came from ford with M-blocks. I guess I assume too much....

If it is that easy then go for it! Sounds like you have everything you need:thumbup

1 - 20 of 26 Posts