Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to throw the Bronco back together, was tq'ing down the cam bolt to spec and it sheered right off...about 5/8" from the head. I'm gonna try a left handed carbide bit and an easy out...but the outlook appears grim. The cam bolt is 5/16-18 right?

Now for the newbie question(s). I plan on throwing in the Comp Cams XE262:

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...?csid=847&sb=2

Now all I should need are new lifters and springs with that cam, right? No need for new push rods? And then there is mention of retainers and locks...dunno what tha means or if I need them. Can someone please straighten me out...never done this by myself or had someone else do it for me. So let me know what I actually need. Besides a carb and intake, it's a stock engine. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright...I think I found the answers I was looking for. It looks like the 262 will be a tad too agressive for my budget at the moment...the springs are going to be killer, looks like I'll need new pushrods...and I don't want any potential higher rpm valve issues. That being said, anyone have suggestions on a cam that all I'll have to do is swap the cam in, can get some cheaper springs and keep the same pushrods. A potential Edelbrock cam package?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump for the morning/lunch crowd. I'm thinking I may be able to get by with the DEH-255...maybe.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I installed the Performer RPM cam/intake package along with an Edelbrock carb. on my old 1979 F150 4x4 Supercab w/400 engine and C6 transmission many years ago. I was very pleased with the performance of those pieces. Plenty of power, decent mileage and easy on the wallet. I sent the block and heads to a machine shop for boring, aligning, decking,etc. as well as head assembly. I put everything together in my garage. I sold it 9 years ago. Now it has made it's way to the neighbor's house. It still runs great 20 years later....

FWIW I used stock length pushrods in that rebuild.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, my issue is I'm not looking to rebuild, I just wanna throw a cam in and go...so I'm assuming a similar profile to stock, yet as aggressive as possible. I don't want to have to do any machine work or anything at all. Hell, if I could reuse the stock springs I would. That being said, Tim told me to give him a call and he'll put me on something.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
nothing more than .495" lift on stock springs and you will be good.

other wise you need new springs.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
did you get the bolt out? I would try a small chisel and hammer to try and tap it and turn it out. usually once the head is broken off the bolt the threads spin right out. unless rusted up.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nothing more than .495" lift on stock springs and you will be good.

other wise you need new springs.
Thanks man. I ended up talking with Tim yesterday, he put me on a couple of cams and gave me a profile maximum that I could still use stock components. However, he convinced me it would just be wiser to go with new springs.

did you get the bolt out? I would try a small chisel and hammer to try and tap it and turn it out. usually once the head is broken off the bolt the threads spin right out. unless rusted up.

The Bronco was in time out, but I'm gonna get on it here in a little bit. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Got it out...drilled a pilot hole and she came right out with an EZ out. The ran a tap down in. Still dunno what caused it to snap, except maybe the bottom few threads were reeeeeeeeally boogered up.

Cam bolt is a 3/8-16x2...is there a specific type of bolt I need or not?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
just use a grade 8 and your set

1 - 10 of 10 Posts