Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 78 Bronco out of town for the first time Saturday. I wanted to see how it would drive longer than around town and Im moving my dad down so two birds one stone. Far as I know, the whole thing is stock with 32's. The drive was 30 miles each way and at about the 20 mile mark, i started hearing a tick from what I think is the passenger side bank. It did it the whole way back home as well. I figured it was low on oil but it was fine. My truck runs at about 2500RPM at 55MPH, but with bigger tires I dont know how accurate that is. Since 351M/400s are known for oiling problems I was wondering if this could be one. Ive read that you can route a hose from two points on the intake to improve the coverage. Is this possible on a stock 2bl intake? Im looking on how to improve oil circulation without pulling the motor apart. Any ideas? Thanks.:beer

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
A external oil line will not help your tick problem.

What is your oil pressure?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
A external oil line will not help your tick problem.

What is your oil pressure?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil pressure unknown. I have the gauge, but haven't had time to install it. It only seems to do it when its at a higher rpm for longer times. If i run to the next town over, about 4 miles, it doesnt do it, but did at the 20 mi mark. It does not leak oil or seem to use all that much at all.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You sure it's a tick and not a knock or piston slap? Does it sound like it's coming from the top end or bottom end?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I can tell, its a tick. Problem is, it only does it at speed, and I have about 12 inches of pipe between the manifolds and 18 inch glass packs. So it exits under the cab. It doesnt loose power when its doing it. I do notice when I first let off the throttle, it still has the sound for about 700 rpm but them quits. But, when i get back on it, it starts up again. There is no oil smoke in the exhaust, and no fuel smell or discoloration in the crankcase oil. I was thinking maybe the rockers need adjusted or just so much wear from being so old.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Well if it is a tick, I'd probably start checking the lifters and rockers. Could also be a busted flex plate. If it were me, I'd get a buddy to rev it up and hold it and either take a stethoscope or long screw driver and try to nail down where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats my plan this weekend. Soon as Ive got time free that is exactly what ill do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts