Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, technically it's not installed yet, but it will be soon.

I just ordered http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850026/overview/make/ford

I've been wanting to clean up the wiring under the hood for a while and I've also had some ignition issues pop up so I decided to go ahead and go HEI.

I'll also be running the engine on an engine dyno in the next few weeks so I'll post the results for that, as well.

Specs are pretty basic. It has an Edelbrock intake, carb and the Performer series cam. I'm curious to see what it's going to put out.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Well, technically it's not installed yet, but it will be soon.

I just ordered http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850026/overview/make/ford

I've been wanting to clean up the wiring under the hood for a while and I've also had some ignition issues pop up so I decided to go ahead and go HEI.

I'll also be running the engine on an engine dyno in the next few weeks so I'll post the results for that, as well.

Specs are pretty basic. It has an Edelbrock intake, carb and the Performer series cam. I'm curious to see what it's going to put out.
Survey says: 170 rwhp and 240 rwtq.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd actually be disappointed if that's all it managed assuming it was going to be run on a chassis dyno. It will be run on an engine dyno initially and then once I get it buttoned up inside the truck, I'll run it on the chassis dyno.

My other truck (1977 F100 2WD) made a tad over 200rwhp and 300ish rwtq with a very similarly built 351W so I'd expect this one to be in that range with slightly more torque. I could be wrong. If not, no big deal. I didn't build it to do burnouts.

I'm actually searching for a Cummins 4BT for this truck so I don't expect the 400 to be in there too terribly long. I'd like to have everything in place for that swap this time next year.

Since we all love pics, here's a pic or two of the truck in question. I think I've posted these pics before some years ago but it looks about the same.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone noticed an appreciable difference in HP after swapping the Sanderson headers to their truck? Considering them but for what I'm doing, I think that the stock manifolds are plenty.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Keep your manifolds....

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been using HEI on my 429 for a couple of years now. Dead nuts reliable, simple, serviceable no matter where you are....what's not to like? (aside from all the comments coming from butt-hurt Duraspark die hards)

Just be sure to wire it on it's own circuit. They draw too much power for the factory Ford wiring to supply. I ran 10G wire from the battery through a 50A breaker, then to a 50A switch in the dash, and finally to the distributor. It's kind of fun having a separate ignition/kill switch right there on the dash.

:thumbup

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep your manifolds....
Yea, I've decided that, for my needs, they will suit me well.

Truck looks great!!!!

I own one as well, however your truck looks to have never been lifted or beaten to death. the one I own was left for dead after living many years as a mud truck. I now use it like a street legal UTV to haul wood and such. Look forward to see the numbers after the HEI install....
I doubt the HEI will offer any significant improvement in HP numbers, however, I'm looking forward to the simplicity that the one-wire hookup will offer me. All the same, I think it will be neat to see what kind of numbers this engine produces, especially considering that this engine build emulates many other low-buck builds in the Ford-forum community.

I've been using HEI on my 429 for a couple of years now. Dead nuts reliable, simple, serviceable no matter where you are....what's not to like? (aside from all the comments coming from butt-hurt Duraspark die hards)

Just be sure to wire it on it's own circuit. They draw too much power for the factory Ford wiring to supply. I ran 10G wire from the battery through a 50A breaker, then to a 50A switch in the dash, and finally to the distributor. It's kind of fun having a separate ignition/kill switch right there on the dash.

:thumbup
You read my mind, except I'm going to be keeping the wires solely under the dash. A simple relay is all I have planned, using 10 ga wire, of course.

I plan on omitting as much of the ignition-specific under-hood wiring as I possibly can in the near future to further clean things up

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran into a little hiccup today. Back when I first built this engine in '08 I misplaced the original alternator brackets so I made some of my own. Well, as luck would have it, the homemade ones have wandered off, as well. At least I'm consistent.

I was on my way to bring the engine to my buddy's shop to run it on the engine dyno today but without an alternator to turn the water pump, I'm at a standstill so I'm gonna try and procure another set of stock brackets. I really don't have time to fabricate another set between this and all of my house projects so I'll be posting a wanted ad soon so if you happen to have a set, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Has anyone noticed an appreciable difference in HP after swapping the Sanderson headers to their truck? Considering them but for what I'm doing, I think that the stock manifolds are plenty.

Thoughts?
I've got a set of sanderson shorties on my 400. They are 4v flanged so I had to make adapters but that's what water jets are for!

I'd bet I lost a little torque thanks to the length and tube diameter but gained some seat-o-pants HP in the deal (ported 2v heads).

If I hadn't of cracked one of the manifolds and gotten this set for so cheap I probably would have stuck with the manifolds.

One crappy thing about them is that they're flange collectors, hard to keep sealed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts