Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't really a build thread it's moreso of a "Refresh" thread, I've still got LOTS to do....

Well, I decided to keep the 400 that's in my 79 I'm parting out, I pulled a head off and didn't really find anything wrong(so far) other than a dented exhaust valve and a carbon ring on the cylinder walls, no ring grooves or scratches and smooth as a babies ass.

Plans to pull it: the pulling is commencing this weekend, tomorrow I gotta get the tranny out, still have to pull the passenger exhaust manifold, gonna pull the passengerside head as I was advised by both my dad and uncle, I have no engine hoist, but I do have a Heavy equipment chain, a come-along, another chain and one big ass tree, plan is to take off core support pull the truck under the tree unbolt the 400 from the mounts, throw said Heavy Equip chain over big ass tree limb in big ass tree, take other said chain and either bolt it to the intake or wrap it around the engine hook up the come-along and raise it up enough to pull the truck out from under it. That's the rough draft of the backwoods Haggard ass method as I have no hoist nor access to a hoist.

Engine plans: I've located a Weiand stealth 351m/400 4bbl intake that is dual plane and the guy also said it has a 2 inch rise, if all goes according to plan, I'll get the intake sometime this weekend or early next week then I'm gonna run a 1406 eddy on it. The heads will "probably" need reworked according to what my dad and uncle said after they looked at them, It's got a dented Exhaust valve on cylinder 8 so I was advised to just have all the valves replaced along w/ new seats(or stems?) (I'm pretty "Dim" when it comes to working on engines this is my first one) the head on the passengerside cleaned also, budget when this happens is only gonna allow one head at a time to be done. It's gonna get all new gaskets, A 351c Timing set ran at 2* advanced(a fellow member told me what to do to get rid of the smog timing), for now the stock exhaust manifolds put on but when money allows it's gonna get headers.

After all this is said and done it'll be wrapped in plastic and stored in my shed as a back-up engine or if I get another truck that needs a new engine.

The pics will commence sometime in the near future. This will also be where I post all my questions.

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, no dice, found some little metal bits in the oil and a few not so looking good bearings, crankshaft and camshaft are fine along with pistons, this thread can be deleted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts