Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1977 F-150 4x4, 4-speed with a 400. It has no compression on cyl number 3. I also have a 1977 F-150 300, 3 speed manual. I want to put the 300 in my 4x4. So far I pulled both motors and started to drop the 300 into place on the 4x4. Well it looks like the brackets that the motor mounts bolt into on the frame are farther back on the V8 truck so they are not going to line up and the brackets are totally different on the 2wd so I can't just switch those over either.
Anyone know what needs to be done here? If I have to locate the brackets from a 4x4 6cyl anyone have them for sale? Are there any other problems I may run into? my 3-speed bell housing will bolt to the 4 speed tranny correct?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I think he's reffering to the tranny to to bell not bell to block and I am not sure on that one but I would say yes it should fit. A simple measurement would answer that question and you have the parts to measure.

You do need the frame pearchs and I know of a truck with a 300 in it but he wants $500 for the complete truck and I believe it runs and drives so I am sure that's a bit pricey for just swap parts.

I may know of another truck that has just frame pearches but it will be a while before I could even think about getting to the truck to look at it for ya. If you run out of options I can check on the stuff for ya.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
He may need to redo the drive shafts but not the tail shaft as he will be bolting his 300 bell to the 4x4 4-speed trans and he will only need drive shaft work if he moves the trans location more than what the drive shafts can make up for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bigred said:
As far as I know the tranny bolt patterns are different. 400=big block pattern and 300=small pattern.
Since both trucks were manual transmissions I have the bell housing to the 300 but was wondering if the 3 speed bell housing will bolt to the 4 speed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RTM said:
I think he's reffering to the tranny to to bell not bell to block and I am not sure on that one but I would say yes it should fit. A simple measurement would answer that question and you have the parts to measure.

You do need the frame pearchs and I know of a truck with a 300 in it but he wants $500 for the complete truck and I believe it runs and drives so I am sure that's a bit pricey for just swap parts.

I may know of another truck that has just frame pearches but it will be a while before I could even think about getting to the truck to look at it for ya. If you run out of options I can check on the stuff for ya.
So I do need the perches? I was afraid of that. On the 6 and the 8 they motor mount hole centers are 17 inches apart so I thought if I could move them forward it would work out. Hopefully there are already holes in the frame, then it should be pretty easy, maybe I'll check that out tonight.
Anyone know if the perches are still available new?
Is the truck with a 300 you are refering to a 4x4? If not that wouldn't help anyway. The truck I pulled the 300 from was driveable. The perches from 2wd to 4wd are totally different. The 2wd has like a foot wide pan that goes under the engine that the perches bolt to.

Anyone know of a good 351M or 400 near St. Louis? My truck came with a 4-barrel and has dual exhaust too. How much do these engines usually go for? I have access to quite a few of them but they are all bad. Either they need cranks for have low compression/ foul plugs. I have a 460 with lots of performance parts, LL headers etc but that is for my 1977 F-250. I'm not wanting to spend much on this truck which is why I'm probably going with the 300, I already have the parts and they are just sitting there.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Blown 331 said:
So I do need the perches? I was afraid of that. On the 6 and the 8 they motor mount hole centers are 17 inches apart so I thought if I could move them forward it would work out. Hopefully there are already holes in the frame, then it should be pretty easy, maybe I'll check that out tonight.
Anyone know if the perches are still available new?
Is the truck with a 300 you are refering to a 4x4? If not that wouldn't help anyway. The truck I pulled the 300 from was driveable. The perches from 2wd to 4wd are totally different. The 2wd has like a foot wide pan that goes under the engine that the perches bolt to.

Anyone know of a good 351M or 400 near St. Louis? My truck came with a 4-barrel and has dual exhaust too. How much do these engines usually go for? I have access to quite a few of them but they are all bad. Either they need cranks for have low compression/ foul plugs. I have a 460 with lots of performance parts, LL headers etc but that is for my 1977 F-250. I'm not wanting to spend much on this truck which is why I'm probably going with the 300, I already have the parts and they are just sitting there.
All the 4x4 to 4x2 pearches are different until the 80 model trucks started so you will need them. Not sure if they are new and the two trucks I was reffering to are both 4x4's.

I've only seen three 4x4 trucks with 300 motors in them of course this is for the 79 and ealry models.

I am 99% sure the 3 speed bell will fit. I used the 351M/400 bell on a top loader 4-speed when I installed a 460 in a 70 fastback mustang. The biggest thing to check is the input shaft depth. You have both bells so measure the depth and the bolt hole spacing.

If you were close to me I could get you a 460 or a 60K mile 400, for cheap.

You can always cut a weld up some new pearches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts