Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the market for a restored 78 or 79 Bronco and I haven't seen one with a 400 and a 4-speed for sale. I've seen plenty of 351's with a 4-speed...even a couple of 460's with a 4-speed. My search has gone on for about 8 months and I've been surprised at the apparent lack of this motor and transmission combination. I regularly check the usual sites (eBay, Craigslist, KSL cars) and a few classic car dealers. Is this issue common? Anyone have some insight or other places to check? Thanks.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,181 Posts
Mine was originally a 351/auto but a PO dropped a 4 speed in it and when the engine was swapped, I put a 400 in it. I like the combination but have never seen another one that wasn't a Frankenstein.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've had a few others tell me the same. It's strange because I've seen a few Ford trucks from the late 70s that had the 400 and a 4-speed. So, why does the Bronco only get a C6 with the 400? I really thought the 4-speed was an option from the factory...maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for your post schwim.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
The 4 speed with a 400 is a factory option, though rare I guess. Heck, I know of a factory 400, 4 speed, ac, slider window truck.... oops....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I've had a few others tell me the same. It's strange because I've seen a few Ford trucks from the late 70s that had the 400 and a 4-speed. So, why does the Bronco only get a C6 with the 400? I really thought the 4-speed was an option from the factory...maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for your post schwim.
I have a 1979 Bronco 400 4 speed T-18 BorgWarner transmission and the gear driven NP205 transfer case
All factory

·
Registered
44 Posts
what is better with the 4 speed?
Is 4th gear not 1:1 as with the C6?

I am basically looking for a 400 as well, but for the moment I would take a c6 to start with as well....

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Its a stick, also the 1st gear is very low, much lower the c6. almost double the ratio.
It is typical to be able to drive the 4 spd starting in 2nd. Especially if you have the 400 in front of it.

To add to the thread Good friend of mine has a 4spd 400 truck.
Why do you have to have that combo?? If your looking for numbers matching I get it, but the reality is that either engine was basically smogged to death and both need a bit of help to really shine. If I was buying one to actually drive 429/460 is very hard to beat in these trucks, especially once/if you get bored with stock-ish power. The 351/400 is comparably expensive to make good power with (although I think its cool those that choose that route).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a 1979 Bronco 400 4 speed T-18 BorgWarner transmission and the gear driven NP205 transfer case, AC, Tilt Steering, high back bucket seats, sway bars. quad shocks and black paint. All factory

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me, I wanted that combo because I wanted a stick and why not get the 400 instead of the 351 if I could? Now it seems that the 4speed 400 combo is rare and I may alter my search. I own a 79 with a 460 and a C6, and you're right CrazyBRONCOguy, it's easy and cheap to get a 460 to rip and howl. But this time around, I'd really like to have a 4speed.

My impatience :sneaky: might force me to look at those Broncos with a 351 and a 4speed or, if I'm luck, a 460 with a 4speed. Still looking at all the usual websites with Broncos for sale, does anyone know of some lesser known places to check?

·
Registered
825 Posts
they did come from the factory with a 400 and 4 speed but rare. If you can fine one with the 351 and 4 speed but it. My truck was a 351 with c-6 i rebuilt the engine and put a 400 crank in it and at one time installed the 4 speed, i got tired of shifting and went back to the c-6.

·
Super Moderator
23,353 Posts
Yo rci3044,
Welcome!
Here are some specific 78/79 pre-purchase checks;
Check Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for Model Year & Engine Type using "Decoding a 1978-1979 Ford Bronco VIN
Howdy! So you wanna decode the VIN number on you're 1978-1979 Bronco, well this thread will help to decode the VIN number. If you want you're whole door tag decoded, please feel free to create a new thread or PM me and I can almost always decode the whole tag.
U15 = 4 Wheel Drive Bronco Wagon
Second letter can be either of these two engine's.
H= 351m 2bbl 5.8L
S= 400 2bbl 6.6L
Assembly Plant
L= Michigan truck
Consecutive Unit Number
AE0,001 to CK9,999= 1978 Model Year Bronco
DC0,001 to FK9,000= 1979 Model Year Bronco
These are the letter's I've seen on a Bronco, if you have a different letter for you're Assembly Plant post up and I'll tell you where it was Assembled." by ~Blue~
Our Navy Federal Credit Union suggests using https://www.nadaguides.com for finding the "value" of a vehicle.

Order a CARFAX™. Although not all accident info May not be provided, other important info is provided @ https://www.carfax.com
However it missed a $5,000+ rear ender to our 96 in 2008 and cited 5.8 instead of our 5.0.

VINCheck® by National Insurance Crime Bureau is a free service provided to the public to assist in determining if a"... vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a salvage vehicle by cooperating NICB member insurance companies. To perform a search, a vehicle identification number (VIN) is required. A maximum of five searches can be conducted within a 24-hour period per IP address." @ https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

While you take a test drive, have someone stay behind or follow and check for leak puddles, exhaust smoke, tire shimmy, etc.
Member dash_cam offers very good advice on having an independent inspection done at sellers location! If you cant inspect it yourself, post Location in the noobie section and ask members for their help or seek out an ASE certified shop in area to inspect it for you. ASE is National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence, read about it @ https://www.ase.com/About-ASE.aspx.
Find an ASE shop @ https://www.ase.com/Landing-Pages/Car-Owners/Find-a-Repair-Shop/Shop-Locator.aspx
Google each for reviews especially in Yelp, Facebook, BBB.

Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:
  • oil pan rust - our's formed spots @ 62k miles - sand it down and prime/paint it w/Rust Bullet Automotive) & high temp. paint - too time-consuming replacement for such a basic thing as not having better gauge steel and paint by Ford
  • try opening and closing tailgate and moving glass with both cab switch and tailgate key.
  • auto tranny, C6, look for leaks around pan from (front) Pump seal. Observe color and odor of the fluid. It should be red, not brown or black. Odor may indicate overheating condition, clutch disc or band failure. Use an absorbent white facial tissue and wipe the fluid level indicator. Examine the stain for evidence of solid particles and for engine coolant signs (gum or varnish on fluid level indicator).
If particles are present in the fluid or there is evidence of engine coolant or water, the transmission pan must be removed for further inspection.
  • engine rear main/timing chain cover seals, etc.
  • rust in inner rear fender lips, bottom of B pillars, sills, bottom of tailgate and floor pans.
  • A Bronco may need extensive $ patch or full panel replacements at a body shop, but some diy.
check tg drains for clogs/rust..check weather seals, esp the outer ws on glass
  • radius arm bushing deterioration (I coated em w/pure silicone, from day 1) but replaced at 80k miles w/Daystar polyurethane bushings
  • cracked exhaust manifold/Y, etc.
  • roof/gutter area cracks (mostly appl. to earlier years)
  • 78 is free of catalytic converter, but 79 has it.
  • radiator core supports, lower, it rusts mainly on passenger side, PIA to replace
  • body mount deterioration and frame rust
  • check transfer case operation
Cash is King.
As craigslist advises, "Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders; banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible. Sometimes a seller may "promise" to return a certain amount of money during negotiations..
Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).

A summary of questions to ask the seller;
"* Do you have all the maintenance records?
  • Do you have the title in hand and is there a lien on the Bronco?
  • How do I get the title?
  • Has the vehicle been in any accidents?
  • How much tread is left on the tires?
  • Are there any scratches or dents on the vehicle?
  • Did this car belong to a smoker?
  • Was this car used by pet owners?
  • Can I receive close-up pictures of a specific area (miesk5 note, such as on 1/4 panels, tailgate, etc)?
  • Are there any document or preparation fees?"
  • Courtesy of ebay

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's condition, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

Forum FAQs @:https://www.fullsizebronco.com/help/faq/:

BABA-LOOEYS FAVORITE FSB LINKS @
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/131287-baba-looeys-favorite-fsb-links-lots-lots-tech-links.html
Includes Tailgate Tech, etc,

See our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests:
See pictures & build info of each Bronco nominated! Purchasing the FSM upgrade does not wave the 60 day waiting period.
F.O.T.M. Contests will be held in JANUARY, MARCH, MAY, JULY, and SEPTEMBER. Each month in-between will be used for nominating contestants to run in the following Month.
You will get ideas by those competing.
Vote in the ongoing F.O.T.Y. Contest⚠
See the prizes! They are freaking awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts