Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
you are right, on a 460 there is not needed a lot during rebuild as its a pretty strong one already.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
nothing is fixed, but the approach may be:
get a runing or at least not damaged 460
have it mildly build around a good cam, engine setup on dyno with a new carb
have the entire thing being shipped to me
drop in running motor

but again, nothing is fixed, but this may be the nice way, then I can do whatever with the 400....

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,876 Posts
You may want to talk to left eye blind racing.
They have always been good to work with for me, and work on these trucks a lot. They would not just put togethor a Mustang engine for your Bronco (defenently different needs).

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I may have to, as I think either left eye blind or wild horses is working with that instagram guy a lot....

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,016 Posts
Do you have a set budget? I know you said 4,000 Euro was a crazy high price for a factory rebuilt engine. Is that a price you'd consider for one built with more power?

I don't even know how much it'd cost to get an engine crated up and shipped to Germany. If my brother-in-law was still stationed there I'd tell him to put one on a C130 and shove it off with a parachute over your house.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you have a set budget? I know you said 4,000 Euro was a crazy high price for a factory rebuilt engine. Is that a price you'd consider for one built with more power?

I don't even know how much it'd cost to get an engine crated up and shipped to Germany. If my brother-in-law was still stationed there I'd tell him to put one on a C130 and shove it off with a parachute over your house.
Hey Doosen!
well, sure money is limiting the options, and I want to have it as cheap as possible, however I have no idea what value will be good.
blueprint offers a 408 cui Ford engine with 425HP/455 ft pd for around 5000dollars, not sure if this is any good or even a truck engine, most probably not, but this is at least a price tag which does not sound too strange.

the different way:
runnning 460/400 - 500 dollars
aluminium heads/instake/cam package: 3000 usd
pistons: 500 dollars
block work: 500-1000 dollars ???
this is around 5000 and may work for both 400 or 460 from my understanding, maybe 400 parts are even more expensive.
plus carb for sure

On the other side, on a 460 heads may not even needed for the power level of 350-400 hp.... so this can be a lot cheaper in the end

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,016 Posts
Hey Doosen!
well, sure money is limiting the options, and I want to have it as cheap as possible, however I have no idea what value will be good.
blueprint offers a 408 cui Ford engine with 425HP/455 ft pd for around 5000dollars, not sure if this is any good or even a truck engine, most probably not, but this is at least a price tag which does not sound too strange.

the different way:
runnning 460/400 - 500 dollars
aluminium heads/instake/cam package: 3000 usd
pistons: 500 dollars
block work: 500-1000 dollars ???
this is around 5000 and may work for both 400 or 460 from my understanding, maybe 400 parts are even more expensive.
plus carb for sure

On the other side, on a 460 heads may not even needed for the power level of 350-400 hp.... so this can be a lot cheaper in the end
That 408 is most likely a stroked Windsor engine (351w).

I'm not sure where to put a value on things. I mean you can go by $ per horsepower, but I'm not sure where the wall is for diminishing returns.

I have another 460 at my house that needs a rebuild and I was given a rough estimate (without looking at the engine) of about $1200 (€1,053) for typical machine work for the block/heads on a 50 year old engine (1970 was 50 years ago!) and was told if I put it together myself I could do a stock type rebuild for under $2,000 (€1754). Of course if you add aftermarket parts things go up from there or if you find damaged parts that need replaced that you didn't expect.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sounds somehow reasonable to me plus it fits to my estimation above.

the 460 stock heads are on inlet wise, but outlet seems to be rather small, so needs some opening.
doing this highly professional may cost a lot as well, not sure what I can do with hand tools. or what all is needed to be done. this would be more the problem.
leading back to a engine builder, instead of doing myself....

in the end, I need a turning engine for rebuild, some headwork, cam, bearings, pistons, intake, carb

should all be managable - not in a hurry, but would be good to source an engine soon to lay direction.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,172 Posts
the 460 stock heads are on inlet wise, but outlet seems to be rather small, so needs some opening.
doing this highly professional may cost a lot as well, not sure what I can do with hand tools.
I reworked the heads on my 460 myself. I got several die grinder smoothing bits from Amazon, and opened up the exhaust ports to match the headers, as well as smoothing up the inside & taking down the thermactor bumps. Between doing that & relapping the valve seats, I burned up 4 days time total. It's doable, but takes some time.

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,046 Posts
The stock 460 heads are good but respond very well with mild porting. The mid-70s versions have a "Bump" in the exhaust ports that can ground out during porting. Joe Mondello had a great book on building the 429/460 for performance. I used to have but I think its lost to time. He was mostly known for his work on Oldsmobile engines but was a Master Builder none the less. The bottom 3 links are for a three part build on a 460 from a few years back. May give you some ideas.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
what a good thought.
just copied the link of the first vid to clipboard.

the first video resulting in 470 torque and whatever 370 hp

this will be fair enough for my Bronco, so decision taken, I need to get a - if possible - stock bore 460 and a good engine shop to do the machining to it.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I reworked the heads on my 460 myself. I got several die grinder smoothing bits from Amazon, and opened up the exhaust ports to match the headers, as well as smoothing up the inside & taking down the thermactor bumps. Between doing that & relapping the valve seats, I burned up 4 days time total. It's doable, but takes some time.
fully good with me, plus I can ask you then :)
Be prepared

Whoops
When I fly to US there is so many beer I have to carry,.... :)

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,046 Posts
LOL! In the second video you can see the bump when they compare the Trick Flow heads to the stock ones. Its where the valve stems is.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts