Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know any websites with builds??? i've been on a few and they all seem to be under construction or just not finished......i was gonna just by different stuff but was told if i use certain parts with others i can actually lower hp and torque....anyone know what to expect out of a 400m like hp and torque, mainly torque...i have seen the one on project bronco thou.

thanks
Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have actually only had them on for about ummmm not even a week $95 wheels and tires!!!!!!!!1:chili::chili::chili::drinkbud

and yes it is a 400 my bad.:doh0715::doh0715::doh0715::smilie_slap:twak

anyone wanna post pics???

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Ranger,I wish the hell you would quit posting so damn much...Everytime I see your sig I have to click that damn link with the S/B 4 Sale and I'm running out of reason's why I dont need it!! :banghead :duh
:histerica:histerica

It's not a need, it's a want. You know you want it.......

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
btw - portions of Bubba's site do say "Under Construction". However he no longer works on it so what you see right now is all there ever will be.

Paul's site PJB is just as good or better. He tells you how to put a radiator in it etc.

http://www.projectbronco.com/

Click "Technical".

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
839 Posts
My bf's dad is rebuilding my 400 and from what he says in order to have a good motor don't go stock anything. like I just forked out a little over $300 for Rods, Guideplate conversion kit and the roller rockers. not to mention the $300 to have the heads done and get a new set of Edelbrock Valve Springs. Granted this is the second time around building this motor but, everything is new this time (no thanks to the bf's advice which was the problem the first time, ya know the - hey these are good used parts and will work fine lol) If ya need some part # I can give them to you and hopefully within the next week or 2 it will be all put together and in my Bronco running. so I can let you know how Summit's parts worked for me and what kinda power I am getting. Although the bf's dad is older and doesn't quite know the meaning of power lol He says its gonna be an animal, but we'll see

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
So Chevystomper did you buy a new crank too?

Most on this board will say you don't need H beam rods to build an everyday 400 motor.

Rods Crank & Block we tend to reuse. Provided they are within tolerance.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
The biggest thing to building these motors is getting the compression ratio up. This means finding some flat top pistons, like badger makes. Shaveing the heads is next. Then correcting the timeing(retarded 4-6 deg from factory). A good intake and carb is next and maybe some headers. Roller rockers are nice but be prepared to adjuust them from time to time(well not all). OR just find some ausse heads, instant power!!!

Remeber these were smog motors and were detuned to meet the demand of the Goverment at the time....Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The biggest thing to building these motors is getting the compression ratio up. This means finding some flat top pistons, like badger makes. Shaveing the heads is next. Then correcting the timeing(retarded 4-6 deg from factory). A good intake and carb is next and maybe some headers. Roller rockers are nice but be prepared to adjuust them from time to time(well not all). OR just find some ausse heads, instant power!!!

Remeber these were smog motors and were detuned to meet the demand of the Goverment at the time....Good luck with your build.
Badger no longer makes or motors pistons. Check out tmeyerinc.com

Its a good start. Click Purchase Parts

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
My bf's dad is rebuilding my 400 and from what he says in order to have a good motor don't go stock anything. like I just forked out a little over $300 for Rods, Guideplate conversion kit and the roller rockers. not to mention the $300 to have the heads done and get a new set of Edelbrock Valve Springs. Granted this is the second time around building this motor but, everything is new this time (no thanks to the bf's advice which was the problem the first time, ya know the - hey these are good used parts and will work fine lol) If ya need some part # I can give them to you and hopefully within the next week or 2 it will be all put together and in my Bronco running. so I can let you know how Summit's parts worked for me and what kinda power I am getting. Although the bf's dad is older and doesn't quite know the meaning of power lol He says its gonna be an animal, but we'll see
aftermarket rods are not needed.

want compression? buy aussi heads and tim meyers pistons made for them. you ned around 9.5:1 and have great quench in the chambers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just put a fresh 400 in my 79 f150 4x4 using T.Meyers Stepped dish pistons with the stock heads and comp 265deh cam. Pretty f'n cool so far. Desktop dyno showed 335hp and 440 torque.

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
839 Posts
So Chevystomper did you buy a new crank too?

Most on this board will say you don't need H beam rods to build an everyday 400 motor.

Rods Crank & Block we tend to reuse. Provided they are within tolerance.

had the crank cut and I don't quite know what all the stuff means but something was machined on the block. I guess the rods were no good that's why we got new ones

1 - 20 of 25 Posts