Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all i recently encountered an oil leak to which i think is the intake or head gasket so i decided to do both. i called the typical parts store and they gave me prices for the intake valley pan gasket. $67 canadian. like any gearhead i decided to call around for prices and called a performance place and they quoated me $29 for feltpro (sp?) gasket as in the gasket for the drivers side and passenger side of the intake plus the two rubber end gaskets. when i told them about the valley pan gasket i got a price for it suprized me that they said they have never heard of the valley pan gasket for the 400m before.???? can you use either or, or is there a specific reason the 400m requires a valley pan gasket?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just put a valley pan in my 400m, literally, 10 minutes ago. I went back and forth on whether to use the seals. I decided to use them because I felt they had a better chance of staying put while I placed the manifold back on. That son of a gun is heavy as hell! I laid a heavy bead in the corners where the seal meets the heads. I hope it works...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well it depends what you mean. I have had the intake off for weeks now so all I had to do was squeez some RTV, place the manifold, and torque the bolts. That was about a 15 minute process.

If you are talking about pulling the manifold and cleaning the manifold then that is a lot longer. Pulling the manifold requires you to remove basically everything on or around it and cleaning it took a few hours itself since it was cover in 30 year old grease.

got it. how long did that whole process take you?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
got it. how long did that whole process take you?

It's a matter of removing a ground, about 12-16 bolts, vacuum tree unhooked and the tranny kickdown. Lifting the intake with carb...cleaning the mating surfaces, silicone the pan (I also use the gaskets on the ends with silicone) and then replacing the intake. Bolts back in (I've used a cross pattern as well as a working from the inside out, dunno which the manual calls for, but I haven't had either way leak), vacuum tree and ground back on and then the kickdown. Should take less than an hour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts