Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 82 bronco 302 just went to shit and a rebuild isn't an option. So I have a 429 lined up and I'm looking for wat I need for it run with out being crap.

1: what parts do I need, and where can I get them cheap or if I can pull them from a junkyard, (mainly what trucks already have what I need)?
2: what kinda wiring issues will I run into?
3: how hard will this be for a beginner with no real automotive knowledge but is willing to learn?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ill tell you one thing, Jon Kaase is making hemi/boss heads for the 429/460 block... supposedly cheap (as big block heads go) ive read two right ups on them in mags... if I were needin heads for one thats the route Id go... I believe he won the engine masters challenge with these heads? someone correct me if Im remembering wrong....

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
3: how hard will this be for a beginner with no real automotive knowledge but is willing to learn?
scrap it and find a 78-79......seriously.just remember that a early 429 was never offered in a truck, so you will at least have to swap oil pans on the thing.or better yet, find a 460 out of a van or truck (pre '79) and go to town.
but if you insist on keeping your '82, find a 351w to drop in.:thumbup

·
Registered
208 Posts
If your bronco is an automatic it will not bolt up. Then you will also have to change the trany. Much work involved. If it is a standard maybe just the bell housing. New motor mounts and exhaust. The 429 is heaver then the 351W. maybe stiffer front suspension.

·
Registered
331 Posts
429 and 460 are the same block with a different bore and/or stroke... unless you talkin cobra jet, that was a different block... at least thats the reality I remember...

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Cobra Jet was the 428 - different engine family all together. 429 & 460 are the same motor so any write up that you find for a 460 into your truck is direct info for you.

You would need new motor mounts, new transmission (if automatic) (and mounts too) and possibly a new transfer case (don't know if what you have would bolt up to the new trans factory adapter), not to mention a bigger carb and new exhaust and headers.
Easiest way to go would be to rob the transmission/transfer case out of a truck with a 351m or 400m - same bell housing as the 429/460. Came in a lot of trucks and Bronco's back then.

Actually the easiest thing to do would be to sell the 429 and get a JY 351w because it would bolt right up to what you have now. If you really wanted the cubic inches you can get a stroker kit that will punch out a 351 to 428.
You are only really limited by your fabrication abilities and the size of your wallet. Heck, if you wanted to get clever you could nab a 351w with FI & an OD tranny to update your truck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry, I never really did answer your questions.

1. Motor mounts, larger radiator, larger carburetor, transmission, possible transfer case issue (maybe mount too), exhaust. Ebay or your local JY - since you didn't list where that is I don't know how helpful a JY will be. Here in MI there aren't that many older vehicles around the JY - they have all rusted to nothing. Bronco's, F250, F350, and an occasional F150.

2. Nice thing about a truck that old is that you shouldn't have any new wiring issues. Bad thing about having a truck that old is that some PO has almost certainly screwed something up in the wiring :D

3. It will be a lot for a beginner to do, or it will be expensive. The biggest thing will be the motor mounts to start. Getting them in the right place and welded right is very important. To be honest if you are a beginner then I would seriously recommend getting a 351w because it will just about bolt in. The radiator you already have should be good and the exhaust isn't as hard to do. The 351w is a pretty good motor and will be a noticeable improvement over the 302. There will still be plenty to learn doing it, but not so much that you become discouraged. After all, the object is to drive the thing, not be working on it for the next two years!! lol

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Cobra Jet was the 428 - different engine family all together. 429 & 460 are the same motor so any write up that you find for a 460 into your truck is direct info for you.
In 1968 the 429 was a brand new design called the "385" series. Available in two versions in 1968, the 429 and the bigger 460. The 460 motor was for Lincolns and Mercury's. The 460 is a 429 with larger stroke.

Ford needed a better NASCAR and NHRA motor. The 427 was gone. So Ford engineers developed a unique set of heads and placed them on a 429 Mustang in 1969. This Mustang was called the Boss 429.

In 1970 the 428 Cobra Jet Motor was replaced with a 429 CJ engine. The change occurred in the middle of the production year so some early Cobra Jet cars had 428's, later cars were 429's. T

In 1971, Ford offered the Super Cobra Jet 429.

[/QUOTE]Actually the easiest thing to do would be to sell the 429 and get a JY 351w because it would bolt right up to what you have now. If you really wanted the cubic inches you can get a stroker kit that will punch out a 351 to 428.
You are only really limited by your fabrication abilities and the size of your wallet. Heck, if you wanted to get clever you could nab a 351w with FI & an OD tranny to update your truck![/QUOTE]

well you might want to take into account the extra money the stroked 351w will need to be machined and clearanced to accept the larger rotating assembly... If the 429 is running and ready, to go find the cost of the tranny you want either manual or AT, new springs etc.. and weigh your cost options along with the work its going to take with the swap... if the 429 needs to be rebuilt, the stroked 351w will most likely be cheaper and for sure easier...

but if you really wanna go big block why not look around for a efi 460? Lots of them in trucks

if that 429 is a boss/CJ/SCJ snag it and sell it to a restorer for a nice profit... then build whatever you want...

·
Registered
331 Posts
how to identify the 429 Im guessin any markings other than these would be a truck block?

First was the base 429, known as the Thunder Jet (TJ). It came in T-birds and full size Fords in the late 60's and early 70's. Typically 360 horsepower. By far and away the most common -- they made 100,000+ of these. Can be ID'd be block casting numbers of C8SE, C9VE, D0VE, D1VE among others and head casting numbers of C8SE, C9VE, D0VE among others.

Then there was the 429 Cobra Jet (CJ). It was built only in 1970-71. It was only installed in mid-size (1970-71) and pony cars (1971 only). 370 HP (likely underrated), thick strong blocks and massive ports int he heads. ID'd by D0VE-A and D1VE-AA casting numbers on the block and D0OE-R on the heads. No other numbers are CJ. Not too common, maybe a total production of 15,000.

The 429 SCJ was a stronger version on the CJ. The difference was forged pistons, solid lifter cam and four bolt mains*. The rest of the info is the same. Even less common with a production of maybe 3,000.

The baddest of them all is the Boss 429. It was rated at 375HP (grossly underrated). It came in special Mustangs (and 2 Cougars) in 1969-70. It had four bolt mains, aluminum hemi-style heads and looked like no other engine. ID by casting number on the block of C9AE. The heads ID themselves. Very rare and very expensive as only about 1,200 were made.

(* Correct for 429 SCJ Torino. On 71 429 SCJ Mustang, both 2 and 4 bolt mains were possible )

·
Registered
331 Posts
maybe hes gone to Wyotech?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts