Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any difference on the inputs and input retainers?

I picked up a 435 from a 85 ish F350 which had a 302. I am pretty sure it will drop right behind the 400, I just wanna be sure if I am pullin the stupid thing out. :toothless

·
Registered
52 Posts
Inputs should be the same across all Ford applications of the 435. Obviously the big difference is the 2wd/4wd output flange/bolt pattern.

You already have a 400/460 bellhousing for a 435?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inputs should be the same across all Ford applications of the 435. Obviously the big difference is the 2wd/4wd output flange/bolt pattern.

You already have a 400/460 bellhousing for a 435?
I already have a 435 behind the 400. but it is a tired worn out peice sorta like that BMC feller. :goodfinge

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Hey Jopes, I can't offer any help on whether or not it will work for ya, but I was wondering if you had plans for the bellhousing? If not I may be interested.(depending on bolt pattern)
OOps just reread the post ......smallblock. won't work for me

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the trans I got was bell-less. it was for a 302 and I let the guy keep it that I got it all from.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just as long as you've got the same output as the one in your rig, you're o.k. There was only one input shaft size on Ford applications.

The 2wd and 4wd cases don't interchange (except the divorced t.c. models are "technically" a 4wd application, but use the square 2wd output flange).

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as long as you've got the same output as the one in your rig, you're o.k. There was only one input shaft size on Ford applications.

The 2wd and 4wd cases don't interchange (except the divorced t.c. models are "technically" a 4wd application, but use the square 2wd output flange).
as I was not asking about the output. I knew thats the right one. it has a 205 slung on the back side of it. I am only concerned about the input. I was 95% sure it would work, but I was not sure.

I just need to split the 205 off the back, and add something in between them as it is all installed in the rig. :shocked

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
If it helps, I took a 78 T-18 from a 400 bronc and dropped it right into my 70 bronc with a 302. I also have an 83, 435 from a 2WD 460 and it looks the same to me as the other 435's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it helps, I took a 78 T-18 from a 400 bronc and dropped it right into my 70 bronc with a 302. I also have an 83, 435 from a 2WD 460 and it looks the same to me as the other 435's.
Unless the 78 was divorced (or the 83 wasn't originally 2wd), they should not have the same output flange.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Will the tranny mounts for a c6 still work? I've said for a long time that if my auto gave me trouble I'd switch to either a T18, or the 435. Is there any difference between them? My trans. isn't giving me problems...but with a low granny gear, I wouldn't have to opt for quite as radical a gear in the rear end to get the low end grunt. I could go with 4.10's...or 4.56's, and still have way more than enough grunt offroad in the 6:1 low...but also pull decent rpm's on the highway...kinda best of both worlds...not to mention the added control you have over your traction. Can I get any 4speed out of a 460, and obviously the right clutch and whatnot for a 400...or will that not work? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
i've said it before and i'll say it again.the easiest way to swap to a manual is to buy an entire (non-running) manual 4x4 for parts.there are way more parts you are not considering.
but to answer the question, yes they will use the same mount and crossmember.be looking for a pre '79 internally balanced 460 to make things easier.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i've said it before and i'll say it again.the easiest way to swap to a manual is to buy an entire (non-running) manual 4x4 for parts.there are way more parts you are not considering.
but to answer the question, yes they will use the same mount and crossmember.be looking for a pre '79 internally balanced 460 to make things easier.
cool...thanks. I've got a friend who has half a dozen old f150's...all stickshifts. Trouble is, they're all 360, or 390's...which if I'm not mistakin, share a different bellhousing then the 460. I'm sure I could get the right bellhousing out of a junkyard...but all the other miscellaneous stuff - pedals, linkage, and shifters and all I could get from my buddy. Just a thought...weighing options at this point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts