Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a potential deal for a spare motor for my 84 Bronco project. Was wondering what others here thought about this motor for a rock crawler rig. It's currently in a tube chassis, and the seller admits it's too heavy for that rig. I already have plans to run a '95 351W-Lightning (just gathering up parts for the EFI swap), but I'm always looking out for a good deal on a complete running motor with some pep. Any commenys??? JSM84:rockon

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
If the owner was going for a lightweight rig, then yeah, it's too much engine. But, out of the box, it's got amazing power, yada yada. If the price is right, grab it - then put up pictures of the chassis :toothless

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the rely, D78B!! My thoughts are the same, if it's a good deal, grab it!!! Est. Hp is 350, with 450 ft.lbs. torque. It was originallly built as a mud racer rig, which is what I was looking for. The PO of my 84 Bronco had an 84 F-250 with the stock 460/C6 combo, and the frontend was really heavy compared to the Bronco. I know the 460 is a few hundred pounds heavier than a smallblock, but it's a torque monster.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
hey Randy is that the engine i emailed you about? if you do get it i'd be more than happy to go and help you remove it. let me know. oh and as for the question i'd say go for it the torque alone with over ride the weight of it.

Travis

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
And the fact that you can say you have a big block outweighs everything combined. Look at my sig, I have the regular 6 inch lift springs, and intentionally made the back sit higher than the front when I did my shackle flip. I like the raked look, and when I carry any cargo it won't point the nose in the air. When I did the engine swap, I didnt notice any more droop in the front. If it's 200 pounds more, imagine a 200 pound guy standing on your bumper all the time. Big whoop.

-Will

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
:stupid

460s are cool. As far as the motor being good for crawling, sure! The extra weight is not much, a big plate bumper and winch would be more of a weight gain . . . The torque more than makes up for the weight.

Out of all the Broncos that I have ridden in, and I've ridden in quite a few, the one that sticks out in my mind is the one with the 460. Not the one on 44" boggers (even though that one was pretty cool :toothless ) but the one with the 460.

Cubes = good. :twotu:

·
Premium Member
14,615 Posts
thing about crawling you want torque not horse power.
460 is heavy... i have on in my bronco stroked to 514 with mass air the horse power aids sometimes but the majority of the time it breaks shit

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
460s are cool except for the fact I get tired of watching the fuel gauge move faster than the speedo.:shocked

·
Registered
576 Posts
BIG BLOCKS RULE!!! Right now I have a 70 429 on the stand waiting for my time and money. A friend has a 79 with a 460, Hell I get exicted just listening to it idle:rockon. (your transfer case worked fine) THANKS:chili: MARK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts