Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor bronco's been out of commision for quite awhile stemming from a broken intake manifold bolt at the back of the block. As of recently, my plans for the motor have finally come to a conclusion. I'm aquiring a rolled (but complete) 92 F250 with a running EFI 460 and ZF5 tranny at a VERY reasonable price. :rockon I'm seriously debating swapping over to the ZF and ditching the E4OD, but like the easy driving/offroading ability of having an automatic.

My main question is will E4OD bolt up to the big block? I haven't actually seen the truck yet, so I don't even have a clue if it's even a close match. I found a few threads about 460 swaps, but they were pertaining to older 460's with no mention of trannys. One might have mentioned a c6, but I can't remember.

The other question is the power output of this motor. The guy I'm aquiring it from says he has some paperwork from the factory when it was brand new stating it had an output of either 389 hp or 398. The only info I've been able to come across on this question was dyno results on older 460's and a few EFI's that have extra goodies in them. Anyone have any clue on the output?

I'm trying to get as much info as I can before next weekend when I pick it up, this way as soon as I get it, I can start the disassembly and have an idea of what I'm going to keep and what I'm going to get rid of. I have a tiny garage, and it's already littered with spare parts and pieces from my quad, so I want to avoid extra clutter.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
to my knowledge the HP numbers were no where near that high. somewhere around 250 IIRC. the e4od will not bolt up to the big block.
the zf is a better choice

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Your 90 Bronco E4OD will not bolt up to the 460, since the bellhousing bolt pattern on the tranny is for a smallblock (351W V8). You can find the engine specs in one of the stickies, or search that topic and you'll find it, JSM84

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105036

looks like 230Hp on the stock 92 460 EFI.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somehow I completely overlooked that stickie. I'm guessing from that info that the guy said HP instead of torque.

I do prefer driving a stick over an automatic, so I have no fear of the ZF. I guess now I'll have 2 E4OD's to get rid of .

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,434 Posts
as already said, the auto wont bolt up to the 460.

hp is 300 and TQ is 400. at least it was for the 95 model year

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the link in the stickied thread that was posted is correct... I'm a bit disappointed, but I still have no complaints. I'm getting a whole truck that runs (80,000 miles) for less than what I would have spent to have my busted 351 rebuilt in stock trim.

I'll have to take a look at the paperwork this guy was quoting from when I pick it up next weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts