Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 460 efi laying around and was wondering what will need to be changed to swap it to carb. My trucks a 79 with a 400 auto. Also what will i need to change to put this motor in.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Most often, you need to swap the heads and intake, since these are not compatible from EFI to carb. However, I found an adapter made by Price MotorSports that bolts to the lower EFI intake manifold to allow mounting of a carb. I am using this on th 88 EFI 460 in my 84 Bronco, with L&L 460 swap motor mounts. The 460 block would be a direct swap for your 351M/400cid in the 79 Bronco. JSM84

I used some Welsh plugs to seal the holes for the injectors, and removed the intake air sensor then plugged it:

That is the sensor laying next to the open hole right in front of the adapter. I also needed to change out the distributor, and opted for an HEI dizzy for a Ford 460 with a Holley 770cfm Truck Avenger carb:

·
Registered
304 Posts
like said, price adapter, or home made adapter, dui or i believe your factory duraspark will also work for a dizzy, just make sure you buy the correct headers if you stick with the fuelie heads, and to be honest, if you are going with headers the carb patterns are cheaper by a few hundred$$$ last time i checked

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Hey fatdan460, got a question, I am wanting to turn my feulie 360 to a carb as well. Did you use the high pressure pump that the fuelie needed? and are you using the FPR to control it? or did you swap pumps too? and also, the heads from it will work for a carb? But I am guessing if I went to an aftermarket intake instead of the adapter, I will need new heads? Cause I was going to upgrade mine with fuelie heads from a later model 460 that has bigger intake and exhaust ports. Thanks for the help and don't mean to hijack, but I am in the same spot as well.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
keep the fuel injection.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Why do you say that? there is more power potential in a Carbed truck by spending less money, and aty the moment it is needing a rebuild and since I was going to be tearing it down anyway I was just going to stroke it out and the SD wont work for that and i dont have the time or money to do a MAF w/ my rebuild, and I dont want to tear it down twice just so i can rebuild this time then stroke and MAF next time.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
a tuner, bigger injectors, and maybe a bigger fuel pump should get you by. alot of people have done crazy shit with the speed density on the gen 1 lightnings.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Still doesnt help me in the rebuild department, I need a rebuild and at the same time I think I am going to do a stroker kit. unless the tuner can help with that, but for the SD I am not sure what is out htere unless the Moates or tweecer work with them and I don't know about it.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
with a tuner you can tell the ECM engine displacement and many other things. you would still have to watch cam choices but there are alot out there that can work.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
yes and it is which ever you want to buy. Seems the quarterhorse is the ticket right now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts