Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
460 from efi to carb, 1986-92 year range

found a good deal on a 460 big block, with 110K on the clock, with a messed up FI system, but it ran fine until the previous owner tryed to swap it into a another trucked and hacked up the harness and i think shorted the efi and a few sensors,

my question is, what will it take to convert it to full carb, can i find a intake manifold for a carb that will bolt in, do i have to change the heads,

all help is appriated in advance.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
you'll need:

carb, intake, ignition, and what are you going to do for the transmission you're swapping this vehicle into?

It'd probably be a lot easier to just find a new EFI harness, and WAY cheaper. And you'll save in the long run with better fuel economy too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
From what ive heard the heads are different, carbed heads have round ports and efi heads have rectangle ports. You will need to make sure you have an intake manifold that matches the heads. Personally i would go for the efi and make it work, but maybe thats why im putting an efi 460 in my 77 f250. Also like mentioned eirlier you will have to figure out what to do about a trans, an e4od wont work without a computer.

·
Registered
955 Posts
A stock carb intake will not bolt onto the EFI heads. Not just because of port design, but bolt pattern and angle. I believe that there are after market carb intakes that bolt on the EFI heads. The EFI heads have terrible air flow compared to most stock carbed heads and all after market heads. You can swap older style heads and any carbed intake, or go with the conversion intake and keep your efi heads.

I would personally never swap a motor from efi to carb, but do what you want. If you do swap it out, PM me with how much you want for the FI stuff, I could use it, but wouldn't want the heads...

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will be running a c-6 or possibly a non computer controlled auto, cant thing of the name of the top of my head, think its a aod

the reasons i want to go from efi to carb,

the truck will be a mud and trail truck, no rockcrawlin,
its a toy, so fuel milage wont be a concern. if i get 7-8 mpg ill be happy
i dont want to worry about swamping a computor if i go in water over the hood for a few seconds, rig will be snorkeled, and waterproofed, i got a few ideahs to keep it water proof/resistant kickin around.
i want to keep it stupid simple, less shit to break, less chance of it breakin

anyone got any links to these conversion intake manifolds, i looked in summit and couldnt find any,

so its basicly i either gotta get a conversion manifold for the efi heads

or use stock or aftermarked carbed heads and a intake manifold.

and yes the efi stuff will be up for sale.

thanks for the people that actually help, for the rest :goodfinge

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
i ordinarily would not endorse switching ef--carb, but i could see it being an ok setup for a mud bogger type. but you also mention trail truck, so if you are going be off camber you want to keep that efi.
the path to carb is spendier than you might think, so be sure to have a good handle on costs vs benefit as you work up your build.
also, don't even worry about drowning the ecm that is the least of your worries if you submarine that truck.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I may be mistaken, it may not exist. I for some reason thought that Ford Racing had one, but it is not in their catalog. You shouldn't have any trouble finding heads though. I got a rebuilt pair on ebay for my EFI 460 for $80 + about $80 shipping. If you are just looking for stockers, it shouldn't be too tough to come up with something. Do some research first though, some BBF stock head castings flowed much better than others.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks,

when i said trail truck, mostly flat to mild hills and climbs, so it wont be drastic angles,

bigblockbuggy - i looked for a while for the conversion manifold and i too dont think its avaliable i get what your sayin about different heads being different,

i started lookin for stockheads and could possibly go aftermarket if i find a used set different.
do you know if the 460's have stock hydraulic tappets or roller anything, and 4 bolt mains, i never had one apart, only 302's and 400 modifieds
youve been a big help unlike some of these other people that just bitch im goin 2 steps backwards.

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
youve been a big help unlike some of these other people that just bitch im goin 2 steps backwards.
i wasnt bitching i could care less what type of shit set up you run.
you came hear for advice and the smart people told you to rawk the efi
if your stubborn enuf to run a carb more power to you, how the hell were we to know it was a "trail truck" (mud pits are not trails)?
ead:goodfinge

·
Registered
955 Posts
Well, to be honest with you I would not convert an efi motor to carbed. An EFI system, especially anything ford obd1, is very simple if you understand it. It is actually more simple to understand than what exactly you have going on in a carb. Sure you have electro-mechanical controls and electronic parts, however you have similar parts in a carb doing much the same jobs, and being finely tuned mechanical widgets and thing-a-ma-bobs held together with Jesus clips, they can have mechanical problems that are just as difficult to track down as a failed sensor.

However, this whole subject has been beat to death several times, and I say do whatever makes you happy. If a carb will work for you, and it is just a toy; well, if you build it right, it will meet your expectations, so, who cares, do it if you want to.

I am actually going the opposite direction as you. I have a late 70's built 460 that I am converting to EFI. I would have offered to trade parts with you, but I already machined the intake for injectors, and part of the reason for converting it was to be able to use my DOVE heads that came with the motor :)

As for lifters, my carbed motor is hydraulic tappet. My '89 efi 460 I have no idea, but I doubt that it is roller. I have never had it apart that far, just intake and heads off for the head swap. The carbed motor has been rebuilt, so I have no idea if the parts I have are factory. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Later,
Jason

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
5.0, look for my thread on the 88 F-350 460EFI swap I did in my 84 Bronco. You're not the only "idiot" to want to do the conversion. I found a supplier that makes an adapter for the lower EFI intake to run a carb (Price Motorsports). I'm also using a 770cfm Holley Truck Avenger. I honestly do not think the factory upper intake would even fit in my Bronco. If it did, it would still be very tight. The adapter was $90. I swapped over to an HEI dizzy. much simpler than the POS DuraSpark II set-up you would otherwise need to run with the carb. Don't buy one from DUI-too expensive. You can get a Ford HEI dizzy on ebay for under $100. The boss for the mechanical fuel pump is there on the timing cover, but it's closed off, so you'll need to run an electric fuel pump at 4-7 psi. Since the 84 Bronco is a trail-only rig, I also ditched the stock tank and installed a 15-gal fuel cell. All the info is in my thread, or you can pM me with any ?'s. The stock SpeedDensity system on the 88-90 460 is a dog, and you'll wake the motor up with a carb swap or aftermarket fuel injection set-up. you can swap to older carbed heads, like the touted Dove-C versions, and run a carbed intake, too. BTW, the 88-90 460 does not have roller lifters either.
JSM84

Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79571

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks justshootme, that addapter is just what i am looking for.

do you think it would still pass emmisions if i ran a carb, but kept the smog BS on somehow, i dont have the engine home yet so i cant look at it to see what emmisions bull ford has on it.

depending how much wiring is involved i might keep it fuel injected and move all electronics into the cab and on the ceiling, by extending the whole harness and using deutch connectors, like i said i dont have the engine home yet so i dont know how much wiring is involved yet.

i was dead set on carbed wich i still think i will end up going, but depending on how much wiring i would have to extend to move the ecm up in the cab on the ceiling.

thanks

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
doesn't NJ do inspections etc at the emissions testing station? you might have a tough time passing. i think you should stay efi, it is just better.

ecm on the ceiling?

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
5.0, here's the info on the spacer from PRice Motorsports:

CS-460EFI

http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/body_cs-460efi.html

This piece is machined from billet aluminum. Very nice work. IF you go this route, talk to MAry or Bill and be patient. They are really nice folks. They usually make a run of a dozen or so, and often sell out all of them at once to some of the racing shops here in Houston. I waited about a month until they made another run, so don't get in a big hurry if they are out of stock at the moment. you'll need to remove the sender in front of the carb, since it interferes with the spacer. I just put a regular 1/2" NPT pipe plug in the sensor hole. You'll also need to remove the injectors and plug the holes. I found some 9/16" Welsh plugs that fit just right. JSM84

It should pass smog with the carb and an aftermarket cat, assuming proper tuning on the carb and backing off /retarding the timing a few degrees. There's a crapload of wiring that you'll remove for the sensors and injectors, so you wouldn't need to run the ECM with the carb. IF you kept the EFI, there's a fist-sized wad of wires from the engine thru the firewall plug into the cab. Remember that if you go to a carb, the TFI distributor won't work. And rather than swapping to the DuraSpark II set-up with all of it's wirng is easily replaced with the 1-wire hook-up for the HEI dizzy. The HEI fits in one sepcific spot where the vacuum advace and the base don't hit the intake, and you'll need a 2" spacer for the air cleaner or have to run a 10" filter. A snorkel set-up will work great, too. JSM84

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
thanks justshootme, that addapter is just what i am looking for.

do you think it would still pass emmisions if i ran a carb, but kept the smog BS on somehow, i dont have the engine home yet so i cant look at it to see what emmisions bull ford has on it.

depending how much wiring is involved i might keep it fuel injected and move all electronics into the cab and on the ceiling, by extending the whole harness and using deutch connectors, like i said i dont have the engine home yet so i dont know how much wiring is involved yet.

i was dead set on carbed wich i still think i will end up going, but depending on how much wiring i would have to extend to move the ecm up in the cab on the ceiling.

thanks
no, they'll definitely fail you. i just went through this with a buddy of mine... he insisted on wasting money converting to carb because he didn't feel comfortable with efi and was too much of a dumbass to let me teach him a thing or two about it and went and did it.

soon as they popped his hood and saw it, they punched it into their computer, and he got the nice red rejected sticker.

He now has EFI back on his truck. :rofl:

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
no, they'll definitely fail you. i just went through this with a buddy of mine... he insisted on wasting money converting to carb because he didn't feel comfortable with efi and was too much of a dumbass to let me teach him a thing or two about it and went and did it.

soon as they popped his hood and saw it, they punched it into their computer, and he got the nice red rejected sticker.

He now has EFI back on his truck. :rofl:
:histerica

that is what i thought. from all my reading on here, NJ seems to be real hardasses about emissions and overall vehicle maint/condition.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Yep, you'll need to know your state's regs if you want to be street-legal, or be good buds with a station. My 84 Bronco is trail-only and not going to be street-driven. I would be able to pass here in the country, but I'd have to carry insurance on it at $600/yr.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:histerica

that is what i thought. from all my reading on here, NJ seems to be real hardasses about emissions and overall vehicle maint/condition.
They fail you for body rust. :doh0715:

What dick cheese in the rust belt decided on that rule, oh, probably some ****ing jerkoff who leases a car and has never seen the likes of rust while strolling through his local mercedes dealership.

I can't wait to get out of this politician-ruined state.

I'm pretty sure we could easily compete with Cali on inspections.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts