Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the process of putting a 460 into my 79. several people have told me to swap the front sump pan i have to a rear sump pan. i got a pan for a 460 from a van for a good price, but i'm haveing tons of issues trying to get parts to fit because the oil pump i have doesn't work and also the pick up tube i got from bronco graveyard is for a complete rear sump pan. so my question is...is a rear sump pan really all that necessary (drove mine fro 3 years without one problem) and also, should i just get the complete rear sump pan and use the pick up i have because if i change the pan i think i'll have to swap the oil pump. although i did see one from broncograveyard that is deeper in the front...

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,327 Posts
Yeap, but mine had a car front sump on it when i got it and it cleared sorta, the pan was dented from the pig hitting it once though.
I now have a canton FOX body mustang 460 swap pan. Fits great.

best pic i have with it in there

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Rear sump pan requires a rear sump pick up.

I used a van pan, 79 460 4x4 oil pump, and the van pick up. BTW, you have to change out one main bolt, to a specific piece, with a stud and nut exposed, to bolt the pick up to. JBG sells the stud, but not the matching nut.

I reused my 400 dipstick and tube. The van pieces were like 5 feet long, and stuck out past the radiator. I filled up with oil, ran it, let it sit 24 hrs, then re-marked the dipstick.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i've got all the dipstick issues and that figured out. the problem is that with the van pan i have the oil pump doesn't work but i can get a new oil pump from napa for the van pan but i can't find a pickup tube that works for that. all the pick up tubes are for complete rear sump pans. i called a ford dealership and they couldn't help me. i called bronco graveyard and the guy kind of smirked at me on the phone and said "we don't deal with van pans". so i'm kind of stuck...my local napa looked into it for me and they couldn't find anyone that would work with them on it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it depends on clearance. i have a 6inch lift and it had plenty of clearance for normal driving, but i jumped the thing and it hit the front sump. however, some duners were telling me that i need a rear sump pan because when you go up the big hills stomping on the gas all the oil goes to the rear of the pan and it can be hard on the engine. take that for what its worth......

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Oil Pump Pickup Tube: Sealed Power #22414257
Oil Pump: Sealed Power #22441144

I just installed these on my 460 with a pan from a 1990 van. The pickup fits perfect and the pump clears the pan fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
go to ford dealer order pan, dipstick, pickup for 88 ford f-250 4x4 with 460, Add some baffles and get melling high volume oil pump for same truck at advanced auto. You dont need the stud, i just reused the same main bolt. It works great and is about a 150.00 upgrade. I still have the stuff on my motor. Been using on 500hp motor for 2 years

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.