Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of getting a 460 block and doing a mild rebuild on it, pretty much stock rebuild with a better cam and intake. anyways, what mpg are you guys getting, those running the 460? i really like my engine, enough power for me, but if i'm going to rebuild an engine in a few years, i think a 460 would be best, what do you guys thing?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Well you can build it two ways, power or mileage. If you build it for mileage I would expect to see 8-10 MPG, if you build it for power expect to see 5-7 MPG.

Lets not forget that a 460 makes great power to begin with.

I only get 5-5 1/2 out of my 429.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would be happy with 8-10 and have power of a pretty much stock 460 with a better cam. i'll have to really think about this then, not sure what i get with my 351M now

·
Registered
712 Posts
Once my 429 is fully warmed I get near 15mpg going like 55 on the freeway, but I have big tires and 3.5x gears so engine is turning pretty slow there. This is a '69 high-compression engine with a small 500cfm carb.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My 70 429 gets 14mpg on the highway, with 3.50 gears, and 33" tires. I actually get a "crick" in my ankle from NOT pushing down on the gas.:doh0715:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
hey ranger.. how much power would you guestimate you are makin with that 429. My 400 gets about the same MPG i'm just wondering if I'm anywhere close to your 429 in power. Could you post a vid of you at WOT and film the speedo or somethin? It'd be a good judge as to how shitty/ok mine is running

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
bk. You should be gettin 10.

Is your speedo correct?
ya its all good. I fill up every two weeks or so, drive to school and back (often more in between) but it usually adds up to about 150 miles - 160 miles per 27-28 gallons

This past week ive been getting super shitty milage. worse than usual.

Just a guess but do you think new tires would have an affect?

·
Registered
689 Posts
ya its all good. I fill up every two weeks or so, drive to school and back (often more in between) but it usually adds up to about 150 miles - 160 miles per 27-28 gallons

with my math thats 5.7mpg

i get 10-11 highway with my 460.....i never checked beating it around back roads but id guess 7-8

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts

just a guess here, if your driving 2 weeks on less than 30 gallons of fuel, then your drive is probably extremely short? your in OR, you let that thing warm up before you drive it?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
hey ranger.. how much power would you guestimate you are makin with that 429. My 400 gets about the same MPG i'm just wondering if I'm anywhere close to your 429 in power. Could you post a vid of you at WOT and film the speedo or somethin? It'd be a good judge as to how shitty/ok mine is running
I could'nt tell ya, I have never had it on a dyno.

There will be no video's of the 250 till at least March when all the salt is washed off the streets after a couple good rain storms. It does not come out of the garage in the winter.

·
Registered
353 Posts

My advice to you would be to drive a truck that has a 429 or 460 under the hood, once you do that you will be on ebay purchasing an engine hoist.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I agree, my dad has an 84 f250 with a rebuilt 460 (rv cam). I always loved driving in it when I was younger. Loud as hell and lots of power from a stop. His truck is a rusted piece of crap, I keep trying to get him to give me the motor for my bronco. No luck so far

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that settles it, if i'm only going to loose a coupe mpg and gain a lot of power, i'll do it, i lined up a 460 block for 50 bucks, didn't worry about getting oil pan or anything since i'll have to get a different one anyways, and i'd replace most internals with a rebuild too. then i'll just put a mild cam in it, little better than stock and do a mild rebuild, i dont' want to go wild, just simple rebuild. how many of you guys swapped out the 9" after the 460 swap? could i stick with the 9", i'm only going to run up to 35s, maybe 36s. i was thinking a sterling 10.25 would be a good swap if i can't stick with the 9". thanks for all the info guys.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i figured it would, rather stick with that then swapping in another axle. i guess i'll get this block and hold on to it for a while until i can afford to get it rebuilt and then drop it in.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
just a guess here, if your driving 2 weeks on less than 30 gallons of fuel, then your drive is probably extremely short? your in OR, you let that thing warm up before you drive it?
No i dont let it warm up but it is parked in the garage so it isnt bone cold. It's gutless when it is cold, and from what I can tell isnt friendly on gas when it is cold either. So basically, in short, I drive it right after I start it and it is ver cold blooded. I drive many short trips as well. School and back, gf's house and back, club and back, etc.

I could'nt tell ya, I have never had it on a dyno.

There will be no video's of the 250 till at least March when all the salt is washed off the streets after a couple good rain storms. It does not come out of the garage in the winter.
I totally understand. That is a gorgeous truck I would give my right and left nut for. When you get fired up this spring/summer see if you can get a video of it running for me! Thanks scott!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Cold is bad on any engine, I used to get right around 5mpg out of my 350 when driving the 2 miles to school. That's the same engine that gets near 20mpg freeway in the summer, with the double carb too. The 429 seems to be doing a bit better, but still sucks gas cause she's finally warming up right around when I pull in school. With so many short trips don't expect great fuel economy, it just don't happen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts