Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1...my 460 starts fine & idles fine...But when I give it some gas it pops thru the carb badly...what could be causing this???...Iv replaced everything plugs,wires,cap,rotor all the same thing...Timming is right on...Could the dizzy be 180 off or off some??I changed from a points to non point dizzy..

2...Anyone rebuild a 4 BBL carb??...how hard is it?? anyone have any good write ups on it??

& once again thanks for any info...

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
i don't think it would even start with the dist. 180 deg. off.(i've done it)2 things i would check....the power valve (if it's a holley), and check to make sure a valve isn't hung up.
i once had a poly lock back off of a roller rocker....it would run, but rough and would pop back thru the carb.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yep, like Rob says it could be a valve not closing completely when that specific cylinder fires.

Timing being advanced too far will also cause carb backfiring.
Since you've changed distributors, maybe double check the timing, and check the dist mechanical advance springs; if one has broken or slipped off, it'll cause the timing to advance too far and give a backfire......

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, like Rob says it could be a valve not closing completely when that specific cylinder fires.

Timing being advanced too far will also cause carb backfiring.
Since you've changed distributors, maybe double check the timing, and check the dist mechanical advance springs; if one has broken or slipped off, it'll cause the timing to advance too far and give a backfire......
Thanks...The motor ran good when I took it out of the other truck...Sat for about 2 years...Tonight Im going to yank the Dist out & replace it with the points one just to see what happend...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pull the valve covers yet? i bet you got a valve hangin up, since it sat for a while.
Actualy I had the spark plug wires 1 off counter clockwise on the dist...

Fixd that,reset timming & took off my Pedator carb & put a stocker on...Runs ALOT better...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts