Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas... I have read a couple of the 460 swap threads but want to bounce this off all you guys and see if I am missing anything...

I have an 85 Bronco that has had a "freshened" 91 460 swapped in. That motor is going into the 78. Here are the issues/questions:

The 460 is hooked to a ZF5. I am going to keep and use my C6. I will need another ECU wont I?

Because this is already in an 85, a lot of the "swap" work has been done meaning, the emissions stuff that would normally have to be dealt with has been already. The EGR is still on the truck but has been disconnected however, the wiring harness is still plugged in. I want to remove it and use the eliminator. Does anyone know if Ryans EGR elminator will work for this, and if the 2 7/8 eliminator plate is the right size? (Ryan - dont know how often you wonder into the 78/79 section but if you do, what say you?).

The current set up uses the two fuel pump system. One in the tank and one on the frame rail. I plan on moving that over to the 78. Any thoughts there?

Its got mid length headers on it. Not sure if those will work on the 78. I dont want the exhaust hanging down below the frame. I want the exhaust routed up and over the cross member. The 400 I have now has the long tube headers and the exhaust is horrible with it... Anyone ever use mid length headers and/or know if they will work like I want or do I need to get shorties or stock manifolds?

Will I need new motor mounts to swap from a 400 to a 460?

Will I need anything else to swap it from the ZF5 to the C6?

Anything I need to check or that I am missing?

I am thinking and hoping its a pretty straight forward swap. Especially since its already in an earlier model truck than what it came from the dealer in...

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
you will need a external balance flexplate for the 460 79-97.
you can use the engine to bellhousing spacer from your 400

motor mounts depending on what was done in the 85

if the swap used L&L then should set onto your frame towers

if used the OEM 460 stuff from the 91 then I would recommend

my 460 frame perches.

the dual fuel pump I would avoid update it to the 92-96 bronco style

stainless fuel lines and one intank high pressure pump.

the headers would be a try it and see

the egr if hooked up and working correctly helps the gas mileage

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The pcm should work fine with a C6. I am running an ecu for an E4OD in mine with a C6, absolutely no issues other than a few codes in the pcm.

Ryans EGR eliminator works flawlessly. The delete plate was a perfect fit on mine. FWIW, I noticed no fuel economy difference between the egr working or not.

As for the fuel pumps you have two factory options. Go with the existing dual pump setup or go with the 92+ single in tank pump. Either option will leave you with some fabrication to make your fuel gage work. The sender resistance values changed for 80+ so you will need to graft the pot from your old sender to the new pump assembly. Or you could get an aftermarket fuel gage and use the 80+ sender value.

Some use a single external fuel pump designed to mount to a frame rail, this keeps your existing pickup tube and sending unit in tact. I would not recommend this type setup for fear of fuel starvation and fear of pump damage on the trail.

I am using headman mid length headers for the efi 460 and they are crap. The headman's leak, the collectors are paper thin, and the flanges warp....but they fit the 78-79. I plan to buy the L&L 79750X headers very soon and try those. L&L headers are top notch, but I cannot comment on fit without trying them.

Other pieces you will need:

The 460 changed balance in 1979, you will need the correct flexplate for the crankshaft you have in yours.

A four core radiator, shroud, and good clutch fan.

It is possible you will need motor mounts. I am using the L&L mounts, they make the 460 sit about 1/2" too low in my opinion. When I have to replace them I will go with the infoford perches / oem mounts.

Custom oil dipstick. Yours will most likely not clear the frame perches.

Raiator hoses, power steering hoses, oil cooler hoses, etc.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Go with the L&L headers, they are pricey but you can bolt em on and forget it, no troubles out if mine at all. Definitely make sure you get a 4 core radiator and make sure the C6 is in top shape.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
I noticed that they mentioned the Ultra-Flow Here:
During our Carb testing procedure in California, we tested the "Before Headers" and "After Headers" Rear Wheel Horsepower on a chassis dyno. The vehicle was a 1994 Ford F250 truck equipped with a 460 v8 and automatic OD transmission. All emission equipment including air injection was connected and operating properly. The outstanding results were achieved ( a gain of 43 Rear Wheel Horsepower and a fuel economy increase of 21% ) with our ULTRA FLOW Header System.
So maybe it's the Ultra-Flow headers listed for an EFI 460 but they used a pic of a complete Ultra-Flow header system for Carbureted 460's as they don't have a pic of the EFI ones yet??

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
That's what I was thinking, because they put the same testing info on the page of the carb'd 460 headers and I really doubt they fit on the 94 F250 test mule. It's a confusing catalog to say the least.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
I wanna know if those HP and MPG numbers are genuine or BS..
I found these claims on page 18 of L and L's catalog. They are a reputable company, so I expect they have some backup for these claims.

The part number L and L lists for these new EFI headers is 79750X

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Oh, I was under the assumption that JBG did the test, but since I've heard about how long L and L has been in business I won't question the numbers again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
call l&l if you are looking for 460 efi headers in a 78-79. i called and they installed the efi flanges on a set of reg fender well headers for a small extra chg. worked great .

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. Responses/questions below:

@ infoford -

So, I need a flexplate from any 460 truck motor that was matched up to a C6, correct? Think I can source one locally.

Will check the motor mounts, but I will most likely need to buy new ones. I would rather have the right parts there when I do the swap than find out mid way through that they are not the right ones. They are also old, so its as good a time as any to replace them... I see yours go for $225 plus I need to gather a few other parts, correct?

Will look into finding a local source for a tank and pump. I may start with the tank and pumps from the 85 and upgrade later. Not sure yet.

@bigwheelz -

No ECU swap needed. Roger that.

Ryans EGR eliminator - on the list. Ordering today. :thumbup You used the 2 7/8ths eliminator plate right?

Any write ups on what I need to do to get the 80+ senders to work with the older fuel gauges? As mentioned, may go with the tank in the 85 for now and upgrade to a 92+ tank later, but not 100% sure yet. I am NOT going single external pump either way.

I too am using the headman headers on the 85. I would love to get those L&L headers, but its not in the budget for right now. I am either going to keep the headmans or run stock manifolds... not sure which yet. Any thoughts on the two?

Need flexplate - check. See above response to infoford.

Have a giant radiator in the 78 now, and the fan clutch on the 85 is strong. Engine runs cool right now according to the dummy gauge. Have a numeric gauge in the 78 that I plan on using.

Custom oil dipstick huh?? That blows. Any recommended sources for that?

Hoses - All new on the 85.

And to all of the headers guys - I would LOVE to pick up a set of those, but I just threw cash down on this 85 and still need to come up with some loot for frame perches/motor mounts, flexplate, water pump (this one is going out) and a few other things... those bad boys are going to have to wait a year or two! :toothless

So, to sum it up, I need:

Frame perches
Flexplate
EGR Eliminator

Could use:

92+ tank and pump assembly
Headers

Sounds easy enough. Lol...

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright fellers. Got the 400 and gas tank out last weekend. Finishing up on cleaning the engine compartment and gas tank area. Going to rust bullet and paint the crap out of both areas as well as the inner fender wells and inner fenders. She should be looking sweet under the hood when I am done.

The 460 is coming out of the 85 this weekend and hopefully, into the 78. I have a couple of questions for you guys...

1. What do I do about the C6 kickdown lever? Where does that get hooked up to on the 85 and how?

2. What do I do about the throttle linkage/cable? Should I take the pedal, linkage and everything out of the 85 or??

3. Any feedback on paint for the engine compartment? Local parts store sells solvent resistant semi gloss high temp paint for 8 bucks a can. I dont mind spending the money to do this right, I just am looking for feedback on what may work as good as that at a cheaper price, or better than that for about the same... Its going over rust bullet so rust protection is not an issue.

I am taking pics (although not as many as I should) of the entire project and will post em up soon... I am excited to have the engine compartment looking badass... now just for the rest of the truck :toothless

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Alright fellers. Got the 400 and gas tank out last weekend. Finishing up on cleaning the engine compartment and gas tank area. Going to rust bullet and paint the crap out of both areas as well as the inner fender wells and inner fenders. She should be looking sweet under the hood when I am done.

The 460 is coming out of the 85 this weekend and hopefully, into the 78. I have a couple of questions for you guys...

1. What do I do about the C6 kickdown lever? Where does that get hooked up to on the 85 and how?

2. What do I do about the throttle linkage/cable? Should I take the pedal, linkage and everything out of the 85 or??

3. Any feedback on paint for the engine compartment? Local parts store sells solvent resistant semi gloss high temp paint for 8 bucks a can. I dont mind spending the money to do this right, I just am looking for feedback on what may work as good as that at a cheaper price, or better than that for about the same... Its going over rust bullet so rust protection is not an issue.

I am taking pics (although not as many as I should) of the entire project and will post em up soon... I am excited to have the engine compartment looking badass... now just for the rest of the truck :toothless
1) Find a 460 efi with a c-6 auto and get the tranny kick down cable. It drops into the square hole on the throttle cable bracket. and has the correct bracket to adapt to a C6.

2) Get the throttle cable from the same 460 efi as #1. You will need to build a custom gas pedal as the 80+ cable connects to the fire wall. Search this sight, I think infoford did a nice job explaining how to do it.

3) Good paint goes a long way. The inner fenders are galvanized and it is a bear to get paint to stick to it. do a search and see what others have done to address it.

Sounds like a fun swap, good luck. It took me two weeks to stop smiling after I drove my efi 460 for the first time. It is hands down the single best mod I whave done to the truck.:beer

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1) Find a 460 efi with a c-6 auto and get the tranny kick down cable. It drops into the square hole on the throttle cable bracket. and has the correct bracket to adapt to a C6.

2) Get the throttle cable from the same 460 efi as #1. You will need to build a custom gas pedal as the 80+ cable connects to the fire wall. Search this sight, I think infoford did a nice job explaining how to do it.

3) Good paint goes a long way. The inner fenders are galvanized and it is a bear to get paint to stick to it. do a search and see what others have done to address it.

Sounds like a fun swap, good luck. It took me two weeks to stop smiling after I drove my efi 460 for the first time. It is hands down the single best mod I whave done to the truck.:beer
1. Check. Will see what I can find locally. Looked up the lockar ones and they are about 70 bucks!

2. PM to Infoford sent. I found some pics of what he did. This could be a hiccup in my plans this weekend. Didnt realize I was going to have to cut/bend and fab a gas pedal. I am hoping I can get what I need out of the 85 and 78 to make it work.

3. I agree. I dont want to spend all this time and effort on the engine compartment just to throw cheap paint over the rust bullet...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts