Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've got the 351M pulled out of my 77 F-150. And the 300 6 is giving me some problems going in and if I'm gonna put any effort or money into any engine swap it's going to be a 460. My dad has a 429 in his 1979 F-250. I also have a 1977 F-250 that I have a 460 for. I have the L&L headers but I'm not wanting to use these parts on my F-150 so I have to start from scratch.

I think I may buy this truck as a donor.

1983 FORD F-250: 4x4, everything works, engine smokes, 460 engine, auto., $350

Question. If I buy this will it have the correct oil pan? What about accesory brackets? I will use the manifolds and have exhaust bent for it, that's what my dad did. And I assume I will still need the L&L motor mounts? I found some cheaper but I don't remember where. What else do I need? I have a 4-speed so what do a I about a flywheel?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,150 Posts
Blown 331 said:
Well I've got the 351M pulled out of my 77 F-150. And the 300 6 is giving me some problems going in and if I'm gonna put any effort or money into any engine swap it's going to be a 460. My dad has a 429 in his 1979 F-250. I also have a 1977 F-250 that I have a 460 for. I have the L&L headers but I'm not wanting to use these parts on my F-150 so I have to start from scratch.

I think I may buy this truck as a donor.

1983 FORD F-250: 4x4, everything works, engine smokes, 460 engine, auto., $350

Question. If I buy this will it have the correct oil pan? What about accesory brackets? I will use the manifolds and have exhaust bent for it, that's what my dad did. And I assume I will still need the L&L motor mounts? I found some cheaper but I don't remember where. What else do I need? I have a 4-speed so what do a I about a flywheel?
Boy are you in for some fun with the ext balanced flywheel. Mine is an 83 motor that was put in an 80 when I got it (now in my 78). I used an 87 alum bellhousing, lenthened the hyd clutch fork so it could be used with the mech linkage. Can't tell you what the clutch is, it was pretty new and supposedly heavy duty, so I reused it.

Perf unlimted also makes the 460 swap mounts and they suppodely hold up better due to more surface area on the mount. I used towers made by a guy on PJB to allow the use of the newer (double stud) 460 motor mounts.

The 83 oil pan worked fine in my 78, but I also have 7"ish susp lift and fenderwell headers, so there is nothing there to get in the way. Oil pan looks pretty much the same as the 78 460 I have.

All the brackets worked for me, but I am not running OBA in that rig, so I did not have a need for AC brackets. I did use a sag PS bracket off a 78 ford van with a 460.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,589 Posts
You can sell the 83 frame pearches and motor mounts to help recover the cost of your conversion mounts.

As long as the truck you are buying has the correct truck exhaust manifolds then you will only need the exhaust bent to fit.

The externaly balanced flywheels are on ebay and that's been about the only place I have seen them for sale. I had one once and sold it on ebay. The 79 and up motors are externally balanced. The pre 79 460 motors one can use a 390 flywheel.

I will try to contact my buddy about the 300 4x4 frame pearches for ya. It's a friend of his so I have to do a litte leg work to find out if I can get them or not. The motor is already gone so the pearches will be easy to remove. If you still want to go this route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much suspension lift is required to use a front sump oil pan? I think I have about 2 or 3 inches of suspension lift on my 77 F-150. Can I use a front sump? And who makes the swap motor mounts cheaper than L&L? And what manifolds do I need? My dad put a 429 in his 1979 F-250 and he had to get different manifolds, he did this is 1985 so he can't remember what he got them from. Any other tricks or tips to do this as cheap as possilbe?
 

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
Joined
·
11,917 Posts
You need truck exhaust manifolds. The car manifolds, passenger side I think, won't clear.

Like Ox said, Performance Unlimited makes the motor mounts and I *think* Advance Adapters. There's also talk of using FE motor mounts with some modification, but we couldn't get it to work on my 429 and just went with L&L.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Blown 331 said:
How much suspension lift is required to use a front sump oil pan? I think I have about 2 or 3 inches of suspension lift on my 77 F-150. Can I use a front sump? And who makes the swap motor mounts cheaper than L&L? And what manifolds do I need? My dad put a 429 in his 1979 F-250 and he had to get different manifolds, he did this is 1985 so he can't remember what he got them from. Any other tricks or tips to do this as cheap as possilbe?


i have a 4inch suspention lift and a front sump pan and the rear/drive shavt still just hits the pan.hope that helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
Take your dads heads and put the 460 heads on his.. use your 77 460...And you have one hell of a new upgrade......Headers and mounts is all youll need for the swap....$600 for all lifetime stuff with two pieces of pipe and Cherry Bombs....Double to triple the power you have now....You pay for what you get....Well worth it when you are done...Theres not much room for headers and the motor doesnt have much room in the bay....Buy the right stuff and eliminate the headaches and time with the installation........I would do the lift later.....See what you need than level it off with the front coils...If thats what you got.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I will need a rear sump pan for sure, that's not a problem. I just picked up a running 1974 460 with machined flywheel and new clutch for $200! The guy also has a set of never intalled L&L headers that he wants $400 for, I'll pick those up in a couple weeks and just use the used L&L's I have right now. Things are finally coming together. So I guess I will just buy the L&L mounts?
 

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
Joined
·
11,917 Posts
Blown 331 said:
So I will need a rear sump pan for sure, that's not a problem. I just picked up a running 1974 460 with machined flywheel and new clutch for $200! The guy also has a set of never intalled L&L headers that he wants $400 for, I'll pick those up in a couple weeks and just use the used L&L's I have right now. Things are finally coming together. So I guess I will just buy the L&L mounts?
Yeah, if you're getting L&L headers, go ahead with their motor mounts. They won't gaurantee the mounts or the headers unless you use both from them, or something like that.

I got stuck with friggin manifolds and I hate it. I went with a bigger cam and that does me no good if the engine can't exhaust it and breath right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is the best place to buy L&L mounts? Anyone have a link? I want to order them right now. I was looking around on their website and everything seems really expensive so I need to find a L&L vendor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, I see. So is $110 a good price on the mounts? I was hoping to pay less than that. My dad paid $75 but that was 20 years ago.
I'm going to use the L&L headers with no body lift and just trim my inner fenders, I hear this works. I put a body lift on my F-250 and I don't like it, I can't figure out a way to make the bumpers match up nicely to the body if this works on the F-150 I'm gonna pull the body lift back off the F-250 and trim the fender wells on that one too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts





Use a 1/4 brake line or threaded rod to get your pipe pieces to fit..Then had someone bend the pipes...Believe it or not..It took one attempt and all I had to do was trim some legth off it...Cost $50 + $40 for both 3 inch Cherry Bombs..
My truck has no body lift..


I also bought Stans Headers and JeffsBroncoGraveYard Mounts..About the same price.....The other slight problem I had was the headers bolted to the motor when I put it in...**I had to install the drivers mount to the frame..Remove the bolts on the passenger side mount..This side needed to be slid in once the motor was dropped in..I also had to remove the drivers header to get it in then reinstall once the motor was in......I dropped my motor in with no fan and radiator removed...When I first tried my headers were stuck againt the fire wall and my crankshaft pulley was stuck up front......I did get it in but had to Jack the transfer case while I put 1 bolt in the bell housing and slowly put the others in...Oh I have the C6 tranny.........I probably could have removed the crankshaft pulley............


Just try to cross check your headers you have...With my install of good parts and no hacks....I have a 1/4 inch of space from the frame and an 1/8 on the otherside..................Dont get nervous..It will work..It can get costly where you need one more thing but when your done there is just not comparision....I now will never get rid of my bronco its just an insane animal........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info! That is a great idea on bending the brake line or rod to have exhaust bent, I never that of that and most places don't want to touch a 79 with the cats gone. I have a 77 so I never had cats anyway so that wouldn't be an issue but I also have the fender well exit headers so I'm just gonna bolt some flowmasters right up to the header collector.
I'm gonna go ahead and order the mounts today and try to get it running next week, can't wait! I have a buch of 3-wheelers and dirt bikes and no way to haul them around!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I've ordered my L&L mounts and I'm going to order bearings, oil pump and timing chain in a second.

I have a 460 from a car and I have a van rear sump pan and the van pick up. I need the main stud that will support the van pick up tube. Apparently my Ford dealers around here arent the brightest cause they say there isn't one! Anyone have the part number for the maing bearing stud that the pick up will also bolt to?


Got it!

CAN20-956 Oil Pickup Mounting Bolt ( 429-460 ) $6.21

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/723/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
wow 6.21 seems pretty low i paid i think 17 bucks at the ford dealership, if you tell them you have an 85 f250 4x4 you'll make it alot easier on getting the stud other wise they're heads will explode lol.;)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top