Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my searches on here have pulled up questions about motor mounts, but my biggest concern for my future 460 swap is what is needed to keep my 4 speed.

I've done some looking over on FTE on the 73-79 forums and they mention using FE flywheels with this bellhousing and that starter etc etc, but it seems like there is always more than one or two combos that people mention. Is there a definitive setup for the 460/NP435 combo?

I know L&L makes a kit and that may or may not be an option for me as far as money goes when the swap happens, we shall see.

I appreciate everyone's help, thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
I bought an 82/83ish F250 that had a 460 and T-18 from the factory, so I don't seen why you need some
weird combo, unless you are using 351M bell maybe. I still have all those parts in my basement (parted my 78
a long time ago, but kept harder to find stuff for 460 swap). Might have some part numbers on it you want them

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,060 Posts
My 78 has a 460/ZF5 setup that the PO swapped in from an 86 F250. I love it. First gear is crawl, and 5th gear is almost like having OD. I just did away with all the smog stuff when I put a fresh long block in. Thank you New Jersey for making pre-95 vehicles inspection exempt!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought an 82/83ish F250 that had a 460 and T-18 from the factory, so I don't seen why you need some
weird combo, unless you are using 351M bell maybe. I still have all those parts in my basement (parted my 78
a long time ago, but kept harder to find stuff for 460 swap). Might have some part numbers on it you want them
I think that was why everyone was posting different combos of stuff, they were using the factory 351M/400 bellhousing. I guess the 460 uses the same bolt pattern, but has a larger/deeper housing? Something like that.

If the early to mid 80's F250's used a mechanical clutch I think that'd work for me. I'm not really able to fabricate, so going from hydraulic to mechanical or vice versa would be a bit of a problem for me. If you can get the numbers off your stuff that'd help me start a search. There's a guy local to me that parts out several 70's-80's Ford trucks in what seems to be a never ending supply for him, so I may be able to get stuff from him if I know what I'm looking for. Thanks.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,840 Posts
The diesels and BBF got hydraulic clutches in 83, followed by the SBF/300 in 84. So any 80-82 f250 or f350 with a 460 and manual tranny will have exactly what you need.

You can use a BBF ZF5 with a mechanical clutch, just FYI. But not a SBF version. Interesting on the 351M/400 BH vs the 385 series BH. Didnt know they were actually different.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The diesels and BBF got hydraulic clutches in 83, followed by the SBF/300 in 84. So any 80-82 f250 or f350 with a 460 and manual tranny will have exactly what you need.

You can use a BBF ZF5 with a mechanical clutch, just FYI. But not a SBF version. Interesting on the 351M/400 BH vs the 385 series BH. Didnt know they were actually different.
I've heard of people modifying their ZF5 setups to accept a mechanical clutch, but I've never heard of one coming with a mechanical clutch. If there's a setup that's easy enough to swap in I may go from NP435 to ZF5. I've driven a 90's F-250 before (long long time ago) with a 460/ZF5 and really liked it.

The info on the bellhousings is just what I've read/heard. I haven't measured, but "everyone" says they are different. Something about the NP435 input shaft being too long with a 351M/400 bellhousing and the 460 crank sticking out further than the 351M/400 crank. Something like that, but I'd have to go re-read. Either way people were offering up combos like an FE flywheel with a 460 starter, a spacer on the 351M bellhousing, and a 302 pilot bearing for the 460 crank. Things like that to make it work with what you have lying around I guess. lol

It's going to be a little bit before I do the 460 swap though, so I've got time to figure out what I'd like to do. I want to get a little more out of my 351M before I start replacing parts that were recently replaced or fixed. I wasn't going to put a 460 into my Bronco until I found a pre-smog 460 in the JY that I've decided to put into my F100 rather than the 460 that's going to go into the Bronco. If that all makes sense.

Looks like I'll possibly be heading to the local JYs today, since I have a bit of time, to see if they have any 80-82s. The largest yard here I know has a ton of 80-90's Fords and from what I've seen on my last few trips there were at least 5-6 with 460s, so I may get lucky.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,840 Posts
No ZF5 ever came with a mechanical clutch, since they didnt come out until 87 or 88. Since the BBF ZF uses and external slave cylinder, it would be as easy as using the bracketry from your truck for the linkage and maybe modifying the length of that last push-rod that activates the clutch fork.

The 460 bellhousing was likely designed for a larger clutch/torque converter than the 400.

I too drove a 95 460 with a zf5 for a while. Lots of fun

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
I think that was why everyone was posting different combos of stuff, they were using the factory 351M/400 bellhousing. I guess the 460 uses the same bolt pattern, but has a larger/deeper housing? Something like that.

If the early to mid 80's F250's used a mechanical clutch I think that'd work for me. I'm not really able to fabricate, so going from hydraulic to mechanical or vice versa would be a bit of a problem for me. If you can get the numbers off your stuff that'd help me start a search. There's a guy local to me that parts out several 70's-80's Ford trucks in what seems to be a never ending supply for him, so I may be able to get stuff from him if I know what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Thought I saved clutch and bellhousing, but didn't. Probably because if it ever goes into anything else, it will
be my 79 tow/plow rig which has a C6.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I saved clutch and bellhousing, but didn't. Probably because if it ever goes into anything else, it will
be my 79 tow/plow rig which has a C6.
That's alright, I appreciate the help. I'm beginning my slow search for the parts regardless of the casting numbers. I know going with a C6 would be super simple for me, but I really dig the manual transmission in the Bronco. My other trucks are autos, so it's something different.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,203 Posts
My Bronco is also awaiting a 460 swap... was just gonna run a C6 but now you have me thinking... especially if the conversion to manual isn't too bad.... Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but now you have me thinking

Careful doing that. It could lead to a lighter wallet.

C6 would definitely be the simpler way to do it and I've considered it for my own swap, but that granny gear sure is nice offroad and my Bronco is currently my only manual transmission vehicle.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,840 Posts
@AbandonedBronco did a 302 to 300 swap while also doing an AOD to ZF5 swap in his 85. He has a thread on it.

And since NP435s came in 78 and 79s, it should be fairly easy of a swap.

My thoughts on Granny gear is this: Ther IS one replacement to displacement, and that's low gearing! There wont be a stump in your way with the 460/np435 combo.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question (thread hijack), but maybe the answer will help someone out.

What are the real dimensional differences between a T18/19 and an NP435?

I bought the hydraulic clutch bellhousing and flywheel from an 83 or 84 F350 (460/T18 manual) a year or so ago from the junkyard, thinking I could use it if I ever decided to put the NP435 behind a 460. Would I be able to do a direct, one for one, swap between a T18 and an NP435? Or are there spacing/clearance issues?

·
Super Moderator
4,441 Posts
From what I've read, there is no length difference between a T18/19 and an NP-435, or the SROD for that matter.

If there is, Ford didn't care, since the rear drive shaft length is only for a "4 speed" and doesn't designate which one.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the other day I swung by a couple of JYs to start some recon. One yard has a few 81 F-250's that I'll be able to check out this weekend. Another yard has the ability to look up all of their inventory on their computer and they told me they had nothing 80-82 for a 460 as @BigBlue 94 suggested.

I did some more internet searching after that and the resident parts guy over on FTE (Numberdummy) mentioned in a post that ford never put a manual transmission into any F100-350 with a 460 until '83. So... lol. I don't know. It must have been some special under-the-radar kind of deal or Numberdummy's parts book is wrong.

I'm going to keep my casual search going in the meantime. It's supposed to snow all night and I have tomorrow off, so... it's either go looking for parts in the JY or go across the canyon and play in the snow with the Bronco in the morning. I don't think that's a very tough decision. lol

·
Addicted to Junk
10,840 Posts
NumberDummy is usually always right. Not always, but usually. Now that's not to say there weren't a few... did you know one of the test mule full size Broncos had a 460 in it? Or that modular motors BH pattern is the same as SBF, except the locating studs were switched around?

I bet you could use an M block BH with a spacer if it came down to it.

So now you need to see if the bellhousing from a 429 mustang, Toronto, etc, will fit the np435. I think most early ford trannys shared the same BH to trans mounting pattern.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts