Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this here because I already have an account set up. A lot of people will probably say "WHY" right off the bat but I'm curious if anyone has done this swap. It's not a Bronco (the motor came out of a Bronco), it's a 1997 F350 with a 460. I see forums and swap kits all over to put the 460 in place of the tired ol' 400. Never have I come across the opposite. I've come here today to ask this question because I have cracked heads and a weeping freeze plug on my 460 in my F350. I also have a mildly built 408 just sitting here begging for attention. The 460 can be fixed, I know. I'd just like to know what would be needed to drop this baby in place and "possibly" save some $$$ and get better mpg. Anyone do this swap before? Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Better fuel economy? Doubtful.

Engine should bolt in place. 460 fuel injection / intake manifold, that is the question I cannot answer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 460 gets 7.5-8 mpg. She's a total pig. Still not sure on what a properly tuned 408 gets with a 4 bbl. I get it tho, it's a 460. It wasn't designed to be a fuel efficient DD. That's a fair statement. I know it'll bolt right up to the trans but my question is more towards motor mounts and attaching to the frame. Maybe I should have started with that question.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,211 Posts
I'd imagine since Broncos (and F-series trucks for that matter) need swap mounts to go 351M or 400 to 460 then you'd need something similar to go the other way.

Also, for what it's worth, my old 460 used to get similar mpg to what you are (7-8). I had it rebuilt after it spun some bearings and mildly upgraded in the process. It doesn't sound like much, but the mpg went up to 11. That was with a carb as well, might have been better with EFI.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll keep the 460 and build the heck out of it, that's not in my budget right now tho. 7 or 8 to 11 is impressive. what's that? Like 45% increase or something?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,508 Posts
Whats the rest of the setup on the truck??
Being a 97 350, is may have a MAF 460 in it. That would/should have the best bet of getting the best fuel mileage.
That said I can pull 16 out of my '96 F-250 (its 2wd though).

The hard part will be converting the 400 to efi, or coverting the truck to carb.... Depends on the trans that you currently have.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Baumann (spelling??) makes an aftermarket controller for an E4OD that is even carb compatible. I don't personally think this is the solution to your issues though.

tim

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
408? A stroked Windsor or a bored 400?
Assuming "M" based motor since 408 W and "mildly built" don't usually go together, LOL!!
In addition to what was said (EFI/carb, trans programming, exh, raditor shroud centering), going from serp to V-belt?,
as 351m/400 never had factory serp either.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I assumed a bored(M) too.

tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts