Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't in either of my bronco's its in my 77 ranger shortbox I put a 79 460 in and it ran fine when I pulled it just before putting it in now when I start it most of the time with ether it will run for about a minute and then acts like its not getting fuel but the filter I have between the pump and carb is still full I don't know if there is a vac like somewhere its not suposed to be or what the deal is but really starting to make me mad anyone got any ideas of what I could try. PLEASE :banghead

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Could be a vacuum leak, ignition problem, or carb problem (low idle maybe). Check the hoses and fitting from and into the carb and intake. What carb are you running?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The motor ran fine in the donor truck and I drove it just prior to pulling it its a motorcraft carb the tag on it says D7VE NA A 6H 4 like I said if I start it it will run for about a minute then starts to act up after that I start it with ether and it only runs a couple seconds once it sits for awhile it will do it all over again its makeing me start to pull hair out I just don't get it

·
Registered
372 Posts
How old is the gas in the tank? It could be bad gas or a clog somewhere. When it's running does it sound like a good strong idle? If so, then I wouldn't look too hard for a loose vac line, if it has a vac leak then it should do it from the get go, sounds like fuel delivery to me, what about the pump?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gas was new and for the minute it kept running I sprayed everywhere I could think of with ether and nothing so I thinking mabey not a vac leak while it does idle it is strong and can rev it up but only for that first minute really just makeing me mad that I can't seem to make it quit this :banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I had the same problem in a 79 Ranger(351M)... I connected a gas can fuel line directly to my fuel pump and the truck ran fine. I replaced the fuel line and haven't had a problem since. Don't know if this is your problem, but it sounds like you've checked everything else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
k I unhooked my fuel pump and put a electric one in with new fuel line from take to pump and pump to carb and now it seems to run for about 5 min or till she gets hot then stops thought mabey it was getting to hot so pulled the thermostat out and she still wants to act up she is going to drive me crazy just want it to run right I need it get her out of the garage got more stuff to get done and all shes doing now is takeing up room

·
Registered
372 Posts
You said your fuel filter is full, is it a glass filter? You can see the fuel moving through it? If you don't have one, buy one and put it on. If you are getting fuel to the carb then the problem is in the carb, you must be getting fire because she runs for a while and it's very consistant, usually electrical problems are erratic. It's possible your carb needs a rebuild or you have a choke problem. How about the exhaust, are you getting anything out the tailpipe? I know it's a reach but you never know, we've thought of most everything else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure what its deal was but seems to be running better but still wants to stall after a bit wondering if it could be getting to hot this is what I have see if this sounds ok my temp gauge was reading around 220 but the dash gauge was in the normal area so I pulled the thermostat out and my temp gauge starts at 130 and never moves now when she stops running and cools a bit I opened the radiator and it seems to be full the radiator is stock and the truck had a 400 in it but I don't have the fan shroud in and the fan is clutched could this be my new problem? thanks for all the help so far to I just need some new Ideas this thing is giveing me a mental block:banghead one more thing what should this run for a temp? thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't think overheating is your problem, your talking about the truck running rough then dieing while it is idleing, I can't imagine it would get that hot while idling, it would have to seriously overheat to die like it is. If the radiator is good and your thermostat is allowing the coolant to circulate i can't see the motor overheating unless it was being run hard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not pushing it hard just driveing around a 1/8 mile block down one driveway and up the other just seems to be getting warm I know 460s came with I think a 4 core and mine is a 3 I think thats how they work

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seems to do it now just when she gets hot but my add on temp gauge quit working when I pulled the t-stat either she isn't getting over 130 or I broke it somehow. I was gonna put my fan shroud back in but in a stupid moment I set it out got sidetracked and ran the dam thing over gonna run to a buddys house and get another one. Also could the clutch on a fan get week because I have another one that seems stiffer so I'm gonna put that one on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.