Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bronco died at 140k miles. I got a hole in one of the cylinders. This really sucks. So now I have to decide, and quickly, what I am going to put in there. I am looking for a writeup on doing a 460 swap into a 92-96 Bronco. I have been searching but have not found anything. I want to get more info on it so I can decide whether to go the 460 route or to just get another 351.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Carbed or EFI 460? Pretty straightforward for the physical part of the swap, 460+C6+existing t-case, same details '80-'96 so search for that info.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
You'll have to design a 460 York braket then :goodfinge :toothless

I'd say it's easy and I've never done it.
New engine mounts
Trans from same donor
Computer from same donor
You can use the same EFI harness

The "hard parts" will be new exhaust fabed up, and then the D60 and 10.25 you'll need in the future.

If you have an E4OD, then that adds some complexity to the swap. You'll have to find a 460/E4OD donor and get the computer too. Or else you've got to use 2 computers, not fun. :brownbag

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EFI. I figured getting it to fit would not be hard. I think I would need new motor mounts. But my real concern was bolting it to the E4OD and other computer related things. Also wiring harnesses, radiator clearance, things like that. I have never done anything like this so I kind of in the dark. My Dad has a mechanic that works for him so he will be available if I run into problems. I have searched here but have not found anyone who has done this in a newer E4OD Bronco. Thanks for the help. :thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
I know you got Speed Density (I've seen your funky air filters :D )
Go here: http://fordfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html

You'll see the 5.0L / 5.8L / 7.5L all share the same basic harness design. ALL E4OD trans computers share the same coumputer pins. So the only "hard" part is movign the throttle body connections from the front passanger side of the engine, to the center of the intake. Might have to open the harness and streach some wires, nothing too complex

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. What about bolting it to my tranny? Will it bolt right up? Two other things I was wondering. Did the 460 ever use mass-air and can you put a sag pump on the 460? I think the bracket is the same from 351-460 but I am not positive.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
BoulderBronco said:
Cool. What about bolting it to my tranny? Will it bolt right up?
No, need a big blot trany

BoulderBronco said:
Did the 460 ever use mass-air?
Yes, but it was only in 96-98. Not worth it, better sticking with the Speed Density. Only need MA if you go for performance, which then you'd be better with a Mustang computer and some help from me :D

BoulderBronco said:
Can you put a sag pump on the 460? I think the bracket is the same from 351-460 but I am not positive.
I would assume that E-350's with the 460 had serp belt sag pumps.
But that's your job :goodfinge

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fireguy50 said:
No, need a big blot trany
Yes, but it was only in 96-98. Not worth it, better sticking with the Speed Density. Only need MA if you go for performance, which then you'd be better with a Mustang computer and some help from me :D
Wait so your saying I am out of luck mating a 460 to my tranny? Can't I just get a different bellhousing? I know many of the 250's and 350's had 460's with E4OD trannys so why would mine not work? Since my engine is blown I obviously need a new one. So instead of just getting a basic engine I am going to get one that is built up a bit. I have found a couple sites online that offer stroked 351's which I am not that entheusiastic about. But there were a number of 460's that were claiming 400+hp. For around $4000-$5000 I figured what the hell. Would it still be a waste to go for mass air? Thanks for your help Ryan I really appreciate it. I looked at that chart and it seems it will work fine. JeffsBroncoGraveyard has 460 motor mounts so I guess all I need to do is figure out the tranny issue. I also hope my hood closes after I do this.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts

The E4OD does not have a bellhousing to change, it's part of the casting, so you'll need a new trans for the big block. Sorry :(

If you must go for performance, for the best results you'll need to use a Mustang computer and a different computer for the E4OD. I can alter your harness so you use the original 5.8L computer to control the trans. Or you can get the Baumannator TCS http://www.baumannengineering.com/tcs.htm

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
My opinion (take it for what it's worth)
Get a F-350 donor truck, swap in the stock 460 and E4OD.

Save the axles for the future. you'll need them ;)
Get the serp brakets off a van 460 for your Sag pump / York braket.

Then once it's up and running you can start planing for the Mass Air / performance 460 ideas. Might want to think about an intake like this $750 idea:

The stock 460 EFI intake is a real slow performer.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ryan I appreciate the thought and I really want to do a 460 but that is more than I want to do. I don't have the room for a parts truck and don't want to have one sitting around. I really had my heart set on a 460 but since it is out of the picture I will probably just get a built 351. I found this one claiming 390hp. What do you think of it? Is it worth it to get any of those options? :beer Built 351W 390hp

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
No, I would not spen $3200 on a built up 351.
For that kind of money, I'd go to the engine kings at CHP and get a 393 Stroker:
http://www.coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Ford/ford_393w.htm
Both the engine you found and the 393 will require Mass Air and a Edelbrock intake to get the potential out of it. The stock 5.8L intake is a dog.

Or I'd have a local shop rebuild a 351 for MUCH cheaper.

Maybe you should give me a price limit and I make up a shopping list?
You can e-mail me if you don't want to nickel and dime on FSB pubilc space.
Edlebrock intake is $550 last I checked
Mass air:
Computer: $75-125
Harness: we'll talk ;)
MAF sensor: $50-400

Might want to change to the lightning style intake to move the throttle away from the York? That will add a new throttle body to the cost; $75-200

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
No, I would not spen $3200 on a built up 351.
For that kind of money, I'd go to the engine kings at CHP and get a 393 Stroker:
http://www.coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Ford/ford_393w.htm
Both the engine you found and the 393 will require Mass Air and a Edelbrock intake to get the potential out of it. The stock 5.8L intake is a dog.

Or I'd have a local shop rebuild a 351 for MUCH cheaper.

Maybe you should give me a price limit and I make up a shopping list?
You can e-mail me if you don't want to nickel and dime on FSB pubilc space.
Edlebrock intake is $550 last I checked
Mass air:
Computer: $75-125
Harness: we'll talk ;)
MAF sensor: $50-400

Might want to change to the lightning style intake to move the throttle away from the York? That will add a new throttle body to the cost; $75-200

Did 460s ever get come with plain non-electronic AODs or was it C-6s only right up to the Electronic ones ?

Sixlitre

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
AOD's would cry like a baby behind a big block.
C6 then E4OD, might want to think about a C6 of manual as an option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts