Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, a number of you try to talk me out of doing this but sometimes you just have to do a stupid thing to learn anything.

i decided to swap out the old 4bbl carter carb on my bronco with a rebuilt 2bbl motorcraft that i snatched off my other bronco. i installed a carb adapter for the 4bbl intake and hooked everything up. when i tried to crank it it would fire up and rev way up (2500 rpms) and then it would just die. if i tapped the gas i would stay running for a second and then die. i tried adjusting the idle screws and the choke and all that did was lower the revving when it cranked. and then it just stopped firing. thinking i flooded the engine and getting frustrated, i walked away for a while and went back to it to find it still not cranking. so, deciding that i might have screwed up on this decision i thought i would just remove this carb and put my 4bbl back on and make sure everything was working fine on this one and do the same with the 2bbl on my other bronco. now that i have my 4bbl carb on it still isnt cranking. the motor will turn, and i know there is gas in the carb, but it wont fire off.

any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. try to keep the comments about be being an idiot to a minimum (gotta do something with my day off). thanks again

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I think your bronco is pissed off at you for putting a 2 barrel carb on it and she refuses to run until you change it back.:haha
He did change it back :haha

Are you sure that you didn't run the battery down or cook the starter? Try pulling the small wire off the starter relay and jumpering it to the ground. If it cranks then your problem is more than likely inside the cab, if not, then it's either the starter, relay, or battery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, first stupid mistake of the day discovered....i had accidently bumped a wire off of my coil. hooked that back up and she cranked right up......sorry for that unnecessary confusion.

but onto my first issue with the 2bbl carb reving right when the motor cranks and then just dieing

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
What engine/year did the 2bbl come off of and what engine/year was the 4bbl on?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sounds like a vacume leak to me.
Autolite and Motorcraft carbs reqires a wider mountin surface than holleys and as a result, don't work well with most store-bought adapter plates.
Check them EGR and PCV hook ups too.

DGW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts