Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 351W, E4OD, 3.55, 33x10.5 mostly stock at this point
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to broncos and have been doing a bunch of reading on the FSB site, ive collected as much info as I think i need to diagnose the issue. Long story short I can get it to shift to 4hi, but i cannot get it to go into 4 low.

I got out the multi-meter and tested at the module for the neutral switch and found it to be activating fine in neutral. I checked power at all the power lines coming to the module and found them to be good. I did the self test on the module itself and it came back 4 flashes which means good from what ive read. At this point im thinking that the motor on the Tcase is possibly not giving a correct signal of "location" back to the module which is in turn keeping the module from engaging 4lo. I don't hear any clicking or anything when i push the 4lo button, it just clicks and does nothing.

I have the bronco running in park, I go to 4hi, then shift to drive and then back to Neutral and then try the 4lo button. Unless im doing something wrong i feel like its likely time for a new shift motor. Any recommendations or tips? And if you agree with the motor replacement any brands you recommend buying over others?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shift motor seems like the most likely culprit..... OEM ford is your best bet I'd say, aftermarket stuff on anything sucks. There is a way to use jumper wires in the plug on the switch to bench test but I dont remember how to do it.

If I where you (and I think I am ) I'd swap out the case for a manual operated (stick shift ) case.
Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,306 Posts
Yo Zachatola,
As Cheapthrill advised.
Try slapping the shift motor with a rubber (preferred) hammer. Shift motors seem to be #1 fault.
Electric Shift Motor Troubleshooting & Repair (travel stops)
Source: by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit) @ Electric 1356 motor fix - FSB Forums slow to open
One tip, "...it is important to mark the original positions of the parts before removing. ..." by RDGBLK

1356 Electric Shift Motor Typical Failures & Prevention; "...Most units fail because of water or mud intrusion. Carefully inspect motor boot or protective coverings. Be sure connector seals can keep water and debris out. Check wiring harness and connector. Replace or repair wiring as necessary. After installation, periodically select 4-wheel drive mode to ensure operation when needed..."
Source: by CARDONE

1356 Electric Shift Motor Connector, Missing Pins in a 93; "...You have to remove those three wires from the old t-case motors connector, and put them into the new connector (naturally they have to go in the same places on the new). Just use a dental pick and release the wire from the old connector....then they should just click right into the new connector......like I said just be sure to put them in the same locations as they are in now on the new connector......there are three open holes on the new connector thats where they go..." read more
Source: by Streetgang (Steven F) at FSB

1356 Electric Shift Emergency Shifting; "... I'd thought I'd share some pics for those who may like to know what the t-case 12 volt shift motor does. Or is supposed to do in my case. Just for drill I removed the small motor. You'll only need a 3/8" ratchet wrench and a long 10 mm socket to remove all 6 bolts. Three of them are about 1 1/2" long and goe thru the top right circular head of the motor. The other three bolts are about 3/4" long. One bolts to the bottom flat tang of the motor case itself (ground?) and the other two hold the wire coupler harness in place on the t-case. As I suspected the triangular shaft inside of the t-case was pointing down to indicate 4 High. By merely jiggling the front drive shaft yoke a little bit with one hand, I could very easily move the triangular shaft with my other hand and get it into 2 High; it might be wise to keep the above mentioned ratchet and socket at the ready, as well as a pair of Channel Locks to rotate the shaft if it won't budge by hand..."
Source: by RickyB at FSB

Replacing the shift motor on your BW1356 in a 93 by Froggmann @ Froggmann's 1993 Bronco Page

Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for 92 & Prior Year Bronco, F Series & Ranger; Includes Electric Shift On The Fly (ESOF) Troubleshooting after 92 & Hub Operation
by Ford via
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_155018014991815&key=6ed47b392b9edfe394b9e89b72717104&libId=js558d7t01000bgv000MA1ljw4l4mfs2ry&loc=https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/438457-95-xlt-tire-size.html#post6237201&v=1&opt=true&out=http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/s420/2010-03-31_004214_93_Ranger_4wd_TSB_92-1-8.pdf&title=95 XLT Tire Size - Ford Bronco Forum&txt=http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/s4...TSB_92-1-8.pdf

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the manual lever on my '96 to actuate the 4WD
I assume both transfer cases are the same except for the actuation mechanism
Not for nothing, but the 4LO always required a bit of force and finesse to get it to go in
I'd imagine as your actuator motor gets older this would be where it would show its weakness first

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, i may look down the road into a manual shift unit. I think at this point im going to try to just get this one working so i can at least drive it and move on to some of the other items on my fix-it list.

Can you still buy OEM motors? If not and i need to get something from a junkyard do i need to shoot for specific years of either Bronco (really rare in JYs around here) or f150s? Or are all shift motors of the 92-96 range the same motor?

Thanks for the help guys

·
Super Moderator
25,306 Posts
Yo Zach,

Or;
Or at one of our Vendors , Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, a.k.a. "The Graveyard,"

For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @ Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts
Can select a certain part.
If a specific part isn't listed, search again for the next higher assembly¤
or
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Can select certain parts
Can search by year range, such as 92 through 96 & has best item condition descriptions such as "COVER BAD LEATHER PWR BKT GRY"
Has Vehicle Pics for some vehicles incl. interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Miesk5, I have searched over RA a few times looking at parts and im trying to figure out where if there are any differences between the years. I was thinking i would get a new motor from RA but i wasnt sure if there were any mid year switches kinda like the MLPS switch on the E4OD. Im learning more and more as i dive into this thing. Seems like the 92 has some odd stuff that later years dont have. I need to get a new ignition cylinder for this rig as well and for some reason Dorman has a lock cylinder that only fits 93-96, not sure what is so different in 92, but Standard products from RA have one part # for all years. 🤨

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got my new shift motor and of course it still won’t go into 4lo. The thing that getting me is that it doesn’t even try. No clicks, no flashing lights, no grinding noises, no nothing. It will hit 4hi every time, but 4 lo is just not happening.

Here is where I am now, I got out the multimeter and checked for a neutral status at the plugs at the 4wd module. I have status from the neutral switch, I have power and grounds at all wires that should have them (always hot and keyed). I have a closure from the 4hi button as well as the 4lo button at the module. The new motor works in 4hi so I know I’m getting power and command to the motor. I have about 320ohms from the Tcase speed sensor at the module.

im starting to think I may have a bad 4wd module even though when you push the test button it comes back good with the LED flashes.

what years and models would I be able to find a used module from? Did the f150/250s have the same elec shift system?

·
Super Moderator
25,306 Posts
Yo Zach,
"Disconnect the "B" and "C" connectors, turn on the ignition and allow 4 seconds for the module to power up. Then push the self-test button. If the LED doesn't illuminate, the
module is dead and must be replaced. If the LED comes on and stays on for 30 seconds, there is an error condition and the module will have to be replaced. If the module is
OK the LED will flash 4 times.
This test, however, is not 100 percent accurate. During the test, the vehicle isn't operating, so the shift control module isn't receiving data and initiating shifts. If the unit
passes the self-test, it's probably a good module. Go on to check for other probable causes, but don't rule out the module entirely. If your search doesn't turn up any other
cause, it may be the module after all. You may have to try replacing the module even though it passed the self-test."

Contact a local yard.
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..."
➡See their yard Directory @ Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts

Control Module, Electronic
Removal

1. Remove the right cowl panel kick pad.
  1. Remove the two module attaching screws.
  1. Lift out the module and disconnect the three wiring connectors. Remove module assembly.
Installation
  1. Follow removal procedures in reverse order.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Miesk5, i have the module exposed and i did the self test and got 4 flashes however I have yet to hear the 4lo relay click to enable 4lo. I can get 4hi all day long but 4lo is just not working. Thanks for the yard link, ive been searching them for some other parts, maybe i can locate a 4x4 shift module from one of these yards. I cant find a bronco in a JY around here to save my life so im hoping the f150s are the same.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Super Moderator
25,306 Posts
Yo zach,
YW!
Hollander interchange is the "bible", and they'll track one down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts