Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 78 bronco about a year ago, I had the truck serviced, it was put in the body shop new 1/4's, tailgate full paint in & out. Went to go on the beach today, 4wd didn't work, front drive shaft turned but front tires didn't. I'm thinking the front hubs are not engaging. Is replacing or servicing them a big project. I have never had the expeirence to work on the locking hubs.Is it a simple job to do or should it be left to the mechanic? I also own a 79 bronco which the hubs were serviced by ford many, many years ago & still operate very well to this day.

Thank you

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
are they the original ford hubs?

either way, its pretty easy to do yourself. Just take your time, and make sure everything is clean. Aftermarket hubs are stupid easy to install, I had never done a set before, and it took about 20 mins for both sides. Get a haynes or chiltons and just pay attention to what you are pulling out of there. Might not be a bad time to do hubs/rotors if you need it as well.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Tis indeed a simple job, a buddy did it for me last Friday cause I needed new front rotors, then as I was driving home apparently all them lugnuts got loose and about 3 miles from my place two studs on the left wheel snapped and I almost lost the wheel - pulled over, called roommate, went and got new studs and lugnuts, on the way back to my truck we hit a fullsize wheel chilling in the middle of teh road and killed the radiator, called a tow for his car, called a buddy for me, buddy took me back to my truck and I did the whole disassembly of hubs and punching old studs out and new ones in and putting all that back together right there, on the side of the road, at like 2am, under freezing drizzle. Just a heads up tho, when you're there may as well repack the bearings, for which you'll need a special socket for the two spindle nuts - socket set can be rented at parts stores, I paid like $50 for mine and of course got it back upon return of tools.

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
i think they have that socket at harbor frieght really cheap, worth the money to just have it on hand, never know when you need to do some late night wrenching and no parts stores open. again, as above, should only take 20-30 min. per side, pretty straight forward job.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That's a good point, considering the only parts store I could get studs from that late was over 15 miles away and I actually got there 5 minutes before closing time, lol

Other tools needed will be a pair of snap-ring pliers, a flat screwdriver (not too fat, but not tiny either), and if repacking the bearings you'll want something long and pointy shaped like a hook in the end (snap-ring pliers will work too, just takes longer).

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
yeah, if i can justify getting a tool, i usually just buy it, i'd rather have it on hand and maybe never use it, then not have it then need it that one time and be out of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts