Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since we just got buried in snow up here, what exactly are the 'official' guidelines for using / driving in 4x4?

i've heard a lot of different things from a lot of different people. i realize it's not like an AWD system....

what ive been told is, stay under 40mph & dont leave it in for long distances. is it really that fragile, though?

yesterday, my father took my truck without my knowing and drove about 30 miles with it in 4WD. i dont think he went over 20mph, but i can't be sure. it's really not practical to drive without it right now, since there's over an inch of snow on the roads, on top of ice.

side note: i think he may of screwed up Low Range on his expedition....AFAIK low range is for under-5mph to get unstuck from mud / deep snow / etc....and he tried to drive home in it because he thought it was just "stronger 4x4"

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
driving at low sppeds in 4wd is ok, i did it often, in deep snow on the highway, i would do up to 40-50, stupid yes, but never had a problem.

low range is ok in snow, just you shouldnt push it, slow and steedy, no more than 10mph id say.

but doing 20-30 mph on 4hi is cool

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
84brownbronco said:
you have an inch and need 4x4?????
no we got over a foot....

we need 4x4 because the roads aren't plowed, and there's an inch on top of ice on all the roads

believe me, on the hills around here - i drove home in the bronco on friday, and without 4x4 its very easy to get the wheels to spin

it was a weird drive home because i forgot that i had disconnected my 4x4 switch over the summer (to take the dash off) and never re-connected it :banghead

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
A properly maintained driveline can easily sustain 70 mph in 4x4 high range and 45 mph in low range (your engine won't like it too much), all personal experience.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
:stupid
i have done 30 plus in lo range and 60 plus in high at pismo.

if the weather is so bad that you need 4 wheel drive, then you probably don't need to be going 40mph or more anyway.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Damager said:
4HI is fine at highway speeds
Yep, 4hi isn't mysterious..........it just puts power to the front axle as well. Go as fast as you're comfortable. At some point you might get vibes from the front d/s, this has to do with what I believe are incorrect driveline angles from the factory. Not really a big deal

To be safe just make sure your front hubs are locked before pulling up on that lever at speed.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
what will happen if you shit into 4lo without the hubs locked in. like can it be used for pulling something that needs low range but no 4x4?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Dustball said:
A properly maintained driveline can easily sustain 70 mph in 4x4 high range and 45 mph in low range (your engine won't like it too much), all personal experience.
Yup, I do this all the time - not so much in Lo. Even ran it to 85 with just the front driveline. Since putting the rear driveline back in, I've got a funny vibration in 4wd tho :toothless

84BB - that's exactly right

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
all right cool. sometimes moving our boat it moves better in 4lo when backing up. reverse doesnt have the guts in high range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts