Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my 87 Bronco ,aod ,manual transfer case, manual hubs in the mud yesterday and it pulled out of a few holes fine in 4wd. I then turned around and went back through the same holes and when I put it it 4wd it acted like it was slipping. It would pull, rev, pull, rev. I made it out and decided to call it a day. When I got home I thought to check the fluid in the transfer case and when I opened the fill plug Fluid shot out of the hole. Is this normal? I was under the impression that it was like the rear and supposed to be filled to the hole. After searching I think the shift forks could be the problem. Could anyone give me a little insight as to what could be going on or suggest what to check?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Fluid is supposed to only be level with the bottom of the fill hole. If you are experiencing intermittent slipping, I would be more suspicious of the transmission operation?

First though, I would make sure the linkage on the transfer case is working properly, but from what you are describing it sounds like tranny. A TC is engaged or it isn't, and I've never heard or seen a manual one that jumps in and out of engagement. I've seen them jump out of engagement, but never back in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
well mine does somethiung simular mine engages in 4h fine and sorta engages in 4l. fot instances i can jack my rear end up and suspend the rear tires and in 4l it will pull the truck but when i start climing things hard my front tires just wont get traction and ill have both back tires and neither front tires spinning its a real b with an itch when on the trail well actualy i wont wheel it like this:beer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The overdrive in the transmission is shot but other than that it shifts fine. I guess the added strain in 4wd could cause it to slip. Its slipping while in 4wd all the time but fine in 2wd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts