Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am having a lot of trouble bleeding out my brakes on the Bronco. I have 4 wheel ABS and just completed my SAS. I have 79 Bronco calipers up front. Nothing changed in the back, I have bled out the lines several times with no air coming out. I can get the pedal to pump up a little bit with the truck off, but after about 20 seconds i hit the pedal and it hits the floor again. With the truck running a cant even get them to pump up. I think there is still air in the lines, but dont know where. There also is nothing that i can see to bleed out the ABS module. 2 weeks agao before i started the SAS the brakes worked great with no problems. I have no leaks anywhere and have been bleeding using the 2 man procedure. Any sugestions?

·
Registered
117 Posts
First thing to try is a gravity bleed. Fill the master cylinder reservoir and then loosen all of your bleeder screws so that the fluid is dripping out at a pretty good rate. It will get messy so use some buckets/cans/drain pan to catch most of the fluid. Keep the reservoir full of fluid, I ran about a pint through each of the master cylinder fluid chambers. This will also help to flush out any old fluid. Then tighten the bleeders down until the fluid stops, make sure the master is full of fluid and then you can start your manual bleed.
You need to start at the furthest point from the master cylinder, the right rear. Make sure the bleeder is tight before your partner lets up on the brake pedal or you'll suck air back in. When you get good fluid flow from the right rear then move on to the left rear, then the right front, and lastly the left front.
If that doesn't help than their must be air in the master cylinder. The gravity bleed should take care of any air that might be in the ABS motor. Good luck!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok i will try to gravity bleed for a while tommorow and then get a helper to bleed em out good. Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do i get those from i have not tried that, or ever even heard of them. Fill me in on what I've been missing ;)

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
You need to put through at least 2 jugs of fluid! You likely have air going to the rear brakes as its the rear that gives you the firm brake pedal. Just because the fluid looks clear doesn't mean there is no air behind it.

keep bleeding sucker! lol

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
ever try the speed bleeders from russel ! thier grreat. only need to crack them then pump them they blled on their own .
I used to run those. getting any dirt in them and they don't work very well. Swapped mine out. What does work well for me is the Napa cheapy one man bleeder. It has a 1 way valve in the clear hose. put the hose in a jar with fluid in it and bleed away by yourself.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i am still at a total loss of idea. i know have no ABS, a proportioning valve from a 79 bronco, a new master cylinder, and re bled everything. i have no air coming from the lines. i have no pedal at all. when i drive the truck i can apply the brake pedal, but there is no reaction until the pedal hits the floor, then the rear brakes will lock up on pavement and dirt. :banghead

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
so i am still at a total loss of idea. i know have no ABS, a proportioning valve from a 79 bronco, a new master cylinder, and re bled everything. i have no air coming from the lines. i have no pedal at all. when i drive the truck i can apply the brake pedal, but there is no reaction until the pedal hits the floor, then the rear brakes will lock up on pavement and dirt. :banghead
You still got air, brake fluid doesn't compress much, but air does. Your front calipers, the bleed screw on the top or bottom?

·
Forward Some Money
5,087 Posts

did you hold the pin out on the proportioning valve when you bled? (in the pic, very far right and horizontal)

Auto part Valve Brass Metal

picture courtesy of JBG

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
4WABS doesn't have one of those, m4ng.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you mean the proportioning valve? If I'm interpreting his post (#14)correctly, he indicates he has one. :scratchhe

That's why I put it in the quote.

Ok, whats m4ng?
yes i do now have that proportioning valve from a 79 bronco. i just by-passed the ABS 2 days ago in favor of this set up. i did not hold that pin out. do i just pump up the brakes and hold and then get in there with somepliers and pull it out to release the air several times until i get a good stream of fluid?

·
Forward Some Money
5,087 Posts
yes i do now have that proportioning valve from a 79 bronco. i just by-passed the ABS 2 days ago in favor of this set up. i did not hold that pin out. do i just pump up the brakes and hold and then get in there with somepliers and pull it out to release the air several times until i get a good stream of fluid?
ok, that makes sense. ABS is in the title so we assumed.

When you bleed, pull the little pin out, then pump up and bleed. I made a little "u" shaped tool out of spring steel with a slot in it so it would come up under the head and keep it out while pumping. Dang, that sounds dirty.... but it works.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Nevermind, I can't read today. Need more Adderal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.