Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 F-150 (standard cab short bed if it makes any difference).

I'm looking to lift the truck and possibly convert it to four wheel drive. Would a 4x4 lift kit from a Bronco (or F-150 4x4) fit under my truck? Would I need to swap in the TTB in order to install a 4x4 lift kit?

I may just do a solid axle swap, but am trying to find out the cheapest route possible to lift and possibly convert my truck to four wheel drive.

Thanks in advance.

·
yes
2,109 Posts
I have a 1992 F-150 (standard cab short bed if it makes any difference).

I'm looking to lift the truck and possibly convert it to four wheel drive. Would a 4x4 lift kit from a Bronco (or F-150 4x4) fit under my truck? Would I need to swap in the TTB in order to install a 4x4 lift kit?

I may just do a solid axle swap, but am trying to find out the cheapest route possible to lift and possibly convert my truck to four wheel drive.

Thanks in advance.
4x4 lift wont work on a 2x4

don't know about the bronco vs. F150 lift

If you swap in the TTB you can use the lift (I actually have a friend that did this with his explorer)

If your looking for cheap i wouldn't suggest a SAS. Sell it and buy a 4x4 truck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
its sad, but true. i wanted to do the same to my f-150... your talking about alot of work, including b-s work u dont even want to deal with like steering and mabye fuel lines... my buddy and i went to a wreking yard and found a truck we could have used as a donor, for the parts, but there was a major problem with the frame, like it was wider or longer or something... so the transfer case mounting brackets were going to have to be custom made... which is possible.. not to discourage you from an awesome project im sure its possible to do a 4x4 swap, but wouldnt it be easier (and cheaper) to just buy another truck like it w/ 4x4:rockon

but if u want 4x4, i would trade the truck for a factory 4x4, even if its broken. if it helps, my lift kit said "f-150" on the boxes, but worked great on my bronco. it was a 4x4 lift and broncos are 4x4.

if you do it, post ur progress on here... sounds very ineresting. good luck either way!

·
User that is Registered
1,035 Posts
a 4x4 lift should work for the front axle of a 4x2, provided that it uses radius arm drop brackets, the rear uses a different width of spring, but you should be able to find something. There is one company that makes 4x2 lifts for your truck, but I can't remember its name.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may just try to sell the truck and buy a bronco, but I have NEVER found the I6/5-speed combination in a Bronco for sale in my area. Those are the two very key items that made me buy this truck. Is has stump pulling low end power and will launch harder than.... well I've never been beaten off the line due to my welded rear end.

So the front components from a 4x4 lift may fit? I already knew the 2x4 has shitty 2.5" springs where the 4x4 has 3" wide springs.

·
Banned
1,161 Posts
I may just try to sell the truck and buy a bronco, but I have NEVER found the I6/5-speed combination in a Bronco for sale in my area. Those are the two very key items that made me buy this truck. Is has stump pulling low end power and will launch harder than.... well I've never been beaten off the line due to my welded rear end.

So the front components from a 4x4 lift may fit? I already knew the 2x4 has shitty 2.5" springs where the 4x4 has 3" wide springs.
why can't I find anyone in my area who will want to try it with me?? :banghead :toothless

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Allright, what kind of crack is everybody smoking that is saying a 4x4 lift won't work on a 4x2 truck and that a 4x4 swap is difficult?!!

The 4x2 and 4x4 suspension is IDENTICAL except for the whole front differential part. All of the mounts are in the same place, use the same hardware, same steering, and are direct bolt-ins for one another.

The ONLY difference is that a 4x2 uses 2.5" wide leaf springs while a 4x4 uses 3". If all you're looking to do is a block, AAL, or shackle flip this point is mute. It would only create an issue if you wanted to use a whole rear leaf lift off of a 4x4 truck, but that can be solved by swapping leaf spring brackets from a 4x4 onto the 4x2 frame.

If you get a parts truck it is completely worth it to do the 4x4 conversion. You get to keep YOUR truck, you know the condition of everything going in, and you get to say that you did it.

Trust me, it really isn't that bad or that expensive once you consider buying another 4x4, fixing what's wrong with it, and then not knowing how the PO maintained it or treated it.

Justin

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Is an SAS on a 2x4 really all that different than an SAS on a TTB 4x4? I don't know, I'm doing an axle swap on my '79 and it don't seem like it will be all that bad, but then again I don't have TTB either. Keep in mind the tranny may need to be changed in order to mount a T-case in there.

Dave

·
is hazardous to others
1,670 Posts
Allright, what kind of crack is everybody smoking that is saying a 4x4 lift won't work on a 4x2 truck and that a 4x4 swap is difficult?!!

The 4x2 and 4x4 suspension is IDENTICAL except for the whole front differential part. All of the mounts are in the same place, use the same hardware, same steering, and are direct bolt-ins for one another.
Justin
umm NO they are not IDENTICAL. On the twin I-beam axle, the beams are the same length, and the passenger side half is infront of the drivers side half.. and on the TTB the drivers side half is infront of the passenger side half. also the passenger side half is longer than the drivers side on a TTB.
if they were all the same i would already have the TTB under my van.. (the van Twin I-beam is IDENTICAL to the pickup Twin I-beam.
here is a pic of a Twin I-beam(out of a van but the location of the brackets are the same for a pickup) crossmember next to a TTB crossmember, both have the fronts of them facing to the left.

so NO the lift for a TTB will not work on a Two wheel drive.. the coil springs off a TTB will fit on the twin I-beam axle, but than you would have to make your own drop brackets for the axle pivot points and radius arms..

·
Registered
95 EB, 351, ZF5, D60s, 40s
2,486 Posts
Is an SAS on a 2x4 really all that different than an SAS on a TTB 4x4? I don't know, I'm doing an axle swap on my '79 and it don't seem like it will be all that bad, but then again I don't have TTB either. Keep in mind the tranny may need to be changed in order to mount a T-case in there.

Dave
Not really, you pretty much have to start from scratch on a SAS anyway. I would think that the 4x4 tranny mounts and tailshaft would be different because of the xfer case though, something to think about.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hav24wheel- The Ibeams on my truck are NOT Identical, and my crossmember doesnt look like the van crossmember you have shown. Thanks for the help though.

I'm not worried about the transmission, I'm planning on using a divorced transfer case when/if I do this.

So... To sum up what I'm reading, front lift components are the same, and the rear springs are different. Lucky for me, I hate the 2.5" springs because I believe they are the source of my wicked wheel hop and spring wrap issues. My truck will hop so badly that my CD player skips.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
umm NO they are not IDENTICAL.
On the trucks in question, yes they are. You're talking a TOTALLY different generation and style of vehicle. The older beams are longer, and van stuff is always weird compared to the truck stuff.

80-96 TTB and TIB on F-150's and BKO's is identical to one another, and since that's what this is all about, that's why i said it.

On an 80-96 a 4x4 conversion takes about 90 minutes to get the front end in there.

Justin

·
is hazardous to others
1,670 Posts
i guess i thought they(older and newer pickups) were closser to the same because alot of the parts off the TIB off the older trucks fit the newer ones. (king pin out) sorrry my mistake.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.