Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 with warn premium locking hubs. I've head it for a while now and have used it 4 high many Times and it works great however I recently tried to use the low gear and nothing happened I had the hubs locked in and you could tell it was in 4 wheel I pushed the low gear button and no light came on and you couldn't tell a difference from the regular 4x4. What would cause this? Imi tried it both by putting it regular 4x4 first ( the light came on ) then trying to push the button for low gear and nothing then I also tried pushing the low gear bottom without pushing the 4x4 button thinking that might make a difference and again nothing. Any ideas let me know

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
You have to be in 4x4 High and the transmission in Neutral before 4x4 Low can be engaged.

To shift from 4x4 to 4x4 LOW RANGE:
Stop the vehicle and place the automatic transmission in NEUTRAL or depress the clutch on vehicles with a manual transmission. Push the LOW RANGE button on the instrument panel to shift the transfer case from 4x4 to 4x4
LOW RANGE. Both the 4x4 and LOW RANGE lights are now lit.
NOTE: The vehicle must already be in 4x4 before pushing the Low Range Button.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to be in 4x4 High and the transmission in Neutral before 4x4 Low can be engaged.

To shift from 4x4 to 4x4 LOW RANGE:
Stop the vehicle and place the automatic transmission in NEUTRAL or depress the clutch on vehicles with a manual transmission. Push the LOW RANGE button on the instrument panel to shift the transfer case from 4x4 to 4x4
LOW RANGE. Both the 4x4 and LOW RANGE lights are now lit.
NOTE: The vehicle must already be in 4x4 before pushing the Low Range Button.
Like I said I tried doing that only the 4x4 light comes on and it does go into 4 hi but the low range light dosent come on and it stays in 4 hi

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I didn't see where you mentioned that you had the transmission in Neutral and so I thought you might be trying it with the transmission in Park.

Even my manual tcase won't go in Low unless the trans is in Neutral.

If in Neutral and it doesn't go, tap on the shift motor lightly with a hammer.

When I had a Ranger the electric shift motors were notorious for failing to go into Low (or going there and not coming back out).

Main reason I got an older Bronco. The newer ones almost always have the electric shift.

·
Super Moderator
26,057 Posts
yo H,
4 Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 by Ford

see Diagnosis of the Electric Shift 4 X 4
No Range Shift

If the vehicle won't shift into 4L, check the speed sensor and the transmission interlocks (neutral or clutch in). Also check the 4L switch (C3) to see if the module is getting a signal. Be sure to check for corroded connections.

It may seem strange to say this, but you should ask the owner/operator if this was the first time the vehicle was ever shifted into 4L. Many vehicles are purchased and operated for considerable periods of time before a shift to 4L is made. The problem may be a defective part that was there from the beginning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't see where you mentioned that you had the transmission in Neutral and so I thought you might be trying it with the transmission in Park.

Even my manual tcase won't go in Low unless the trans is in Neutral.

If in Neutral and it doesn't go, tap on the shift motor lightly with a hammer.

When I had a Ranger the electric shift motors were notorious for failing to go into Low (or going there and not coming back out).

Main reason I got an older Bronco. The newer ones almost always have the electric shift.
I may not have put that in but OK thanks yeah a friend of mine also has a 95 except an xlt instead of eddiebauer and likes to brag that he's got the manual

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yo H,
4 Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 by Ford

see Diagnosis of the Electric Shift 4 X 4
No Range Shift

If the vehicle won't shift into 4L, check the speed sensor and the transmission interlocks (neutral or clutch in). Also check the 4L switch (C3) to see if the module is getting a signal. Be sure to check for corroded connections.

It may seem strange to say this, but you should ask the owner/operator if this was the first time the vehicle was ever shifted into 4L. Many vehicles are purchased and operated for considerable periods of time before a shift to 4L is made. The problem may be a defective part that was there from the beginning.
Checking signal to the switch is simple but I never thought to check it hopefully its that simple. Unfortunately I don't have the contact information of the person I bought it from anymore.... Craigslist ... Lol but at least my hi range engages that's all I'll be using until after the snow melts so I can hit some tougher trails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts