Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
95 f-150 4x4 5.8 e4od 05 F250 axles w/4:10's lifted/modded owned since 97 w/28K
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't have all data anymore but im trying to figure out why my low range quit working as well as my cruise at the same time, several years ago.

4x4 works, and i have 05 f250 axles with manual locking hubs which everything works but low range.

does anyone (hum hum Miesk5 hum) happen to have schematics or a diagnostic procedure for the low range?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
30,677 Posts

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,986 Posts
I cant speak for the cruise control issue, but I can tell you what my fix was for my transfer case issue. When I bought my truck the 4 wheel drive did not work and after studying this forum I found the electric switch motors tend to go out on them. I bought a new motor and install it and it worked fine for about 18 months.
It quit again and it was intermittently going out. I pulled the connector apart and thoroughly cleaned both sides of the connector. Not only did I use contact cleaner but I also took micro wire brushes and sandpaper and scoured the contacts really well. After using the abrasives on the connectors I sprayed them out with contact cleaners again. After thoroughly drying them, I applied a liberal amount of dielectric grease to seal the contacts. My switch motor has been working fine ever since. That has been about 4 years ago....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the pointers,

klh95bronco, i actually purchased from the snap on guy, an electrical pin connector cleaner kit, it came with all kinds of specialty micro brushes and diamond file stuff to clean most elelctrical connectors, both male and female, ive come to look closely at connectors being that i mainly work on jet skis that have that issue all the time
heres one type.
3pcs/Set Electric Terminal Cleaner Kit Spade Pin Connector Tweezer Cleaning Tool | eBay

the kit i purchased, kinda looks like this one.
IPA Female Deutsch connector Diamond Coated Terminal cleaner set with case #8042 | eBay

where is the shift module? and who has the contraption in figure 22?

symtom 1 is exactly whats going on.

i put the truck in 4x4, put truck in nuetral, push 4low and just nothing. i tested the led to make sure its working which it is.

im thinking ive got a burnt wire or connector is corroded somewhere to i need to start ohming wires.

thanks, this is what i needed to start

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,667 Posts
The shift module is in the passenger kick panel.

I just fixed one with the same symptoms as you. The problem was that the wiring connectors to the shift module were broke and not allowing the wires to make contact to the module. I believe it was like this due to 25 years of southern heat.

The fix, found a new set of connectors and swapped the wires over.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i was wondering what that box with the button on it that lights up a red LED when you push it. is that what your talking about? all the wires and connectors looked great, i pulled them all off to inspect, then removed the box from the mount and took it apart to see if the circuit board was corroded but it looked brand new.

what does the button do?

·
Super Moderator
30,677 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
sorry.........i'll post a pic of mine. its a 95 f-150, mine looks a little different

and im starting to believe I may have cut the 4low range wire when i was making a 4low shift map for the baumanator long ago. i think i may have snipped it so when i push the low range button, it would change to the 4low map on the baumanator??? i'll have to see but i think i have some good stuff to go by!!

thanks.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Bumper

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine just has the one big grey box with a button that makes a red light come on?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
baumanator stand alone transmission controller for the e4od and 4r70w
pooky is the name of the guy in your sig.

klh95bronco, your sig looks like my truck one time after leaving the bar lol !!! only wreck my rigs been in, and it was my fault. ran through several of those posts with the cable that runs through them so you don't drive past them, then smacked into an electric pole and was stuck to it, put it in reverse and the rear tires just spun, had to 4low it off, then i noticed a cop car sitting in the parking lot almost right next to me so i hauled @$$. what i didn't realize was i was dragging about 8 posts along with that cable that was wrapped around my axle through town and eventually home. i never knew they were back there until the next morning when i woke up to access the damage lol.

and anybody know what my red light does? located on the passanger side, behind the kick panel? i think its my 4x4 actuator thingy

·
Super Moderator
30,677 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
but it doesn't have anything to do with the 4low function right?

or is that the shift module that im looking for? im confused....

i'll study that diagram and start tracing wires to see whats missing, broken, burn up, etc. ive tested the 4wd switch on the dash and everything checks out as well as the leds for the 4low.

P1 doesn't specify positive, but im assuming it is due to the others saying to ground? obviously my ESOF has power so im going to follow those wires to the switch.
i guess its brown w/white stripe as well as orange w/light blue. but what wire is 4low to the tcase?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@miesk5 well everything looks good, i can't find a single thing except...........one thing and it may not have anything to do with the issue or it may be why two things quit working after i did the sas and maf conversion.

the one thing i removed was the proportioning valve and installed a manual one, would that have any effect on cruise control or 4 low being that the plug is just sitting there not connected to anything?? because both of those things never worked after the sas/maf conversion, or it was just coincidence. even after i switched back to the original computer and put everything as close to stock as possible minus the brake proportioning valve, cruise and 4low still never worked.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Super Moderator
30,677 Posts
@miesk5 well everything looks good, i can't find a single thing except...........one thing and it may not have anything to do with the issue or it may be why two things quit working after i did the sas and maf conversion.

the one thing i removed was the proportioning valve and installed a manual one, would that have any effect on cruise control or 4 low being that the plug is just sitting there not connected to anything?? because both of those things never worked after the sas/maf conversion, or it was just coincidence. even after i switched back to the original computer and put everything as close to stock as possible minus the brake proportioning valve, cruise and 4low still never worked.
Yo JETSKI,
It' a coincidence.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
is the same motor on the tcase used to shift 4h and 4L? in other words, if the motor works for 4h it should work for 4l too

nevermind, im an idiot, i was sparsly reading the 4x4 diagnostic and thought figure 22 was some sort of ford contraption you hook up to the module, but its the moduel itself that has the self test function built into it. i need to disconnect the bottom two connectors and push the self test button and see what happens, if i get 4 flashes, its prob ok and i love what it says below that, although this test is not 100% accurate......lol

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
is the same motor on the tcase used to shift 4h and 4L? in other words, if the motor works for 4h it should work for 4l too
there is only one motor. It controls 2Wd High, 4 High, and 4Low, The 4wd control module tells the motor what position it needs to be in for the button pressed on the dash. If the motor works between 4H and 2H, then your problem is either internal to the transfer case, or you have a wiring problem.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts