Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i put my truck on a friends lift i engaged 4wd and the back tires turned but the front didnt, the driveshaft was spinning but the front tires just werent engaging, ive heard that theres a small plastic piece that might be the cause of it or i might need a new hub all together?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I believe on the newer models, the wheels have to be turned to engage the 4X4. If it were on the ground, you would turn the 4x4 on, then roll foward or back to engage. If your truck is quiet, you can sometimes hear them click in. So on a lift, you would have to manually turn the wheels with your hands.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we did we turned both wheels and all they did was turn and didnt engage as the back tires sat and spun the whole time and when i was wheeling about a month ago my front right tire was out of the mud and as i hit the gas it didnt spin while i was in 4wd

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
new hubs all day long, did you see if the shafts were spining inside the knuckles, if they were then it needs hubs, get the warn premiums:thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
so i guess its pretty common?

I think you'll find that the consensus here is that the automatic hubs just plain suck. If you do a search you'll find abut 2 million pages of 'why they suck' and why you should go with good quality manuals. But I think after about 15 minutes of reading the threads you'll just get smart, go online and order some. I got mine off a company on Ebay and then spent 90 minutes installing them (first time for me---the rock stars here can do them in 12).

BUT, first make sure that a crappy auto hub is your primary problem before you go too ape shit on other goodies..........

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,046 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts