Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 bronco that I can't seem to get the 4-wheel drive to work.



Basically I can lock the hubs in and push the button. Nothing happens no lights light up nothing. I have checked the fuses and am going to but haven't yet checked the switch. Anyone have any Ideas or know of any problems with these trucks?


thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
four wheel

check the motor/shift solenoid on the transfer case, it may be out, sometimes you can tap it with a small mallet while someone is pushing the 4 wheel button on the dash and it will transfer, but will need changed out, jb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"the shift control module self-test."

where is the shift control module located?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
same thing happened to my 93 bronc the reason it wont shift into 4x4 or low is because the shift motor on the t-case has a stopper on the inside that has broke and you have to take it apart and put a new stopper on and clean the conections on the whole thing put it back together make sure everything is in place and reconnect everything and put it back on and test it . but make sure it is that stopper on the gears
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info

How hard is to install a manual shifter?
 

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
Joined
·
5,353 Posts
Thanks for the info

How hard is to install a manual shifter?
It isn't hard, but it isnt simple either. You have to find a transfer case from a manual shoft truck. Get all of the components and cut a hole in your floor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't have much time today just glanced behind glovebox saw a small black box but no buttons or led. But I could hear something clicking down deeper more toward the top of the kick panel. When I pressed the 4x4 button The motor/shift solenoid on the transfer case looks to be in good condition but I will try and get it off this weekend. And check it out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Hey man, make a quick check while your under the truck. Take the 4 bolts (i think) out of the cover (the one the wire runs into) on the motor on the transfer case. Make sure the contacts are touching the motor contacts. Thats all that was stopping the 4 wheel drive from working on my 91.
 

·
Try it now!!
Joined
·
9,119 Posts
Didn't have much time today just glanced behind glovebox saw a small black box but no buttons or led. But I could hear something clicking down deeper more toward the top of the kick panel. When I pressed the 4x4 button The motor/shift solenoid on the transfer case looks to be in good condition but I will try and get it off this weekend. And check it out
Thats it...the relays in the box click when its activating the 4wd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep did the self test on the shift control module. Works fine.

On to the shifter motor on the transfer case.

Who ever thought this was better than an actual gear shifter?
 

·
Try it now!!
Joined
·
9,119 Posts
Well I do for one. I'd much rather push a button then fool around with a lever.

Follow the links directions and its stupid easy to figure out whats wrong. People have more trouble with manual t-cases than you think. Theres 2 threads in the last couple days about how someone cant get it into the proper gear. Linkage bends, things freeze...its just different problems than the electric.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
same problem with mine its a 94 and it does not work either but im just going to put a manual one in im tired of this stupid button wish me luck........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I've got the same problem with my 1992 Bronco. My shift module test gives my 4 blinks of the led light. Which if I understand the directions correctly, means the module has a 99% chance of being good. However I do not hear any clicking of a relay. Could I possibly be in that 1%?
Will I be wasting my time to proceed to the next step of checking the sensors? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Awesome post. You should start your own thread!
Why do we need 300 threads on the same exact subject? Thats what the forum is here for. To help everyone. He was just saying he has the same issue and apparently is reading this thread to help with his problem.

Well I do for one. I'd much rather push a button then fool around with a lever.
There isn't much fooling around on mine. Two fingers pull it right into 4x4. About a 2" pull at the most. Goes right in every time. And I'll never have an electronic issue. I've been without 4x4 because of electrical or vacuum issues about 10 times in the past. Never with manual lockout hubs and lever shifted transfer cases. Not totally bashing the use of electronics...but I steer clear of these setups if possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Slightly different problem

I'm having t-case issues as well and I came across this thread. In my situation, when I press the 4H button, the t-case engages (light comes on) and I have 4wd for little while until I let off the gas and coast a bit. Once I go back to the gas, the t-case has for some reason gone to neutral (engine revs but no go, tranny lever still in D). I place the tranny lever (E4OD) in to neutral and press the 4H button to disengage, and I hear/feel the t-case clunk. I place the tranny lever in D, and away I go in 2WD. I have the same problem with 4L, but never have an issue with just 2WD.

Any ideas on the reason or cause?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top