Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what Im seeing on my 1989 FSB, it has auto hubs. Im under the impression its 4X4 on the fly (Pls correct me if Im wrong). What is the max speed to shift from 2HI to 4HI?

TIA,
Andrew

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good note, copy 10-4! At least I know I should be able to shift in at the "normal" 30MPH or so without a problem.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I love this place already!

Andrew

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've done it many times at 75-85mph..... not on purpose.

I keep my smokes in the little compartment next to the damn 4x4 button, and bump into it all the time while driving.

I hate electronic shift 4wd. :mad:

At any rate I've got 205k on the original driveline, and it still works just as it should so if any damage occured I haven't noticed it. :shrug

IIRC the manual on my '89 says that 50 or below is OK.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,513 Posts
What in the hell would a person be doing to shift into 4x at 50 mph? :twak :wacko :slap
(I'm referring to "on-purpose" VK. :goodfinge )

·
Registered
728 Posts
I believe 55mph is the max. This is so you can hit 4hi while driving over a pass and ALL OF A SUDEN you're in the snow. :D

·
Banned
21,144 Posts
You can only shift at speed (5-55mph) if you have auto hubs AND a pushbutton t-case. Otherwise, keep it under 5mph. The electronic t-case has a clutch that spins up the front shaft before locking it in if you're moving.

If you already have the front hubs locked (auto OR manual), you can shift between 2H & 4H at any speed with any t-case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a '92 that's a manual transmission with auto hubs, so would I be able to shift over the 5mph you are saying. Since I don't have a pushbotton t-case, i wouldn't be able to shift over 5 mph, right? I believe my manual says to shift under 50 or so, but I don't think that's specific to having a manual tranny.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I can and have often shifted into 4 high on the freeway above 55. Manual hubs are always locked when we have snow on the ground so I can shift in and out as needed. I have a 5 speed and manual T-Case. Never had a single problem or complaint from the T-Case. ARB in front locks at any speed too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
75 on the freeway. When I hit a snow patch. Do it all the time.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
4xPepe` said:
What in the hell would a person be doing to shift into 4x at 50 mph? :twak :wacko :slap
(I'm referring to "on-purpose" VK. :goodfinge )
Guy up here(Jeep owner) was bitching the other day about his Tcase making noises. He goes on to say, he was driving down the highway and saw a cop in the middle of the road stopped. so he hit the 4x4 button and jammed on the brakes.. Hmm. He was probably doing in the area of 60-70. He tells me that it helps you stop better in 4x4. Well ok. Hows this work? I know it's helped afe people stop cause they where in the ditch before they realized what happened. :twak

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
To answer Bronco85s question - I don't know about anyone else, but I've noticed an improvement in braking on snow and ice, when I'm in 4wd. I'm led to believe that the engine compression is being distributed thru both axles, helping it slow down easier. However, I've also found that being able to shift the tranny into neutral is even easier, since there's no torque being applied to the axles either. What I've done on several occassions is, use the 4wd to start helping me slow down, then, when I get to around 15mph, I'll shift into N, and stop even better

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
ok I can agree with you that it helps slow you down, for the reasons you stated.. But flipping it into 4wd at 60, for a stop like that? Why are you going that fast if the roads are that bad? I hate using 4wd over about 30. Just feels like it's dragging and doesn't wanna go.

Anyways. Thought I'd throw that post in. Thought it was rather funny that he's wondering why his TCase started making noises after his did that.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Hmm hubs blow up when ya switch into 4x4. How many times did ya have to buy new hubs still ya got a clue:)

Just buy locking hubs and leave them locked all winter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This will sound stupid but I thought (at least from reading the Ford Manual..) but I thought it was bad to have your hubs locked and not be in four wheel drive? I spend a lot of time off road (For Work it's actually a lot of on then off of dirt and paved) and get out to turn the hubs on and off everytime. I thought it would be easier but I didn't want to hurt anything... so can someone clarify this for me?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I used to lock mine in Dec. and unlock them in april. I used to live in a snowbelt in upper mich. I kept the u-joint greased up and had no major problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Manual hubs, its okay to have them locked whenever you wish (Assuming you dont have a locker of *any* type up front). The only time the drivetrain will be effected is when you engage 4HI/LO. At 2HI, no power is applied to the front diff.

My 1966 Bronco had FULL TIME hubs, I installed Select-O manual hubs on it. It ran from 1966 to 1985 without being unlocked, the D30 never gave a moments problems. Side note: That *damn* Bronco is *still* on the road! Seen it several times since Ive sold it! :D

HTH,
Andrew

PS
Refering to the locker up front, different versions will vary, but there may be a chance of the front diff locking and if your on dry pavement and turning, something is likely to go "Thump-Clunk", cant be good news. With an open diff, it really doesnt matter at all. I agree, locking in Dec and unlocking in Apr should have no ill side effects what so ever. (Warranty not implied, expressed or written)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Bronco85 said:
I hate using 4wd over about 30. Just feels like it's dragging and doesn't wanna go.
Damn glad I don't have any of your trucks. My Bronco doesn't work that way. My 01 GMC Dually 4x4 Duramax kicks ass on the freeways at about 90 in 4WD. Shifts in and out of 4WH at any speed without argument and zero handling problems.:thumbup

1 - 20 of 33 Posts