Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shopping around for my first bronco....thought i'd ask the Pro's...which system would you pick....button on dash or shift on the floor to ingauge 4 wheel drive and why ?? Also would you favor a 1985-89 bronco over the 1990-95 . sometimes the older ones ore made better ???? what do you think ?? thanks :whiteflag

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Shift on the floor. The Electronic Shift stuff is prone to die, in which you spend a lot of mulah on new electronics all the way through, OR you get a Shiftser, which forces you to get under your truck (An arm at least) to make it 4WD.

Manual Hubs. Automatic hubs are also prone to break.

Get the latest model for reliability and features. Get the older for Carb'd engines. Depends on what you like and know how to work on.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was waiting for my fellow AV8er to chime in. Much more reserved than last time. :rofl:

"electric. The manual shift linkage always binds up and won't let you shift."

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
I was waiting for my fellow AV8er to chime in. Much more reserved than last time. :rofl:

"electric. The manual shift linkage always binds up and won't let you shift."
What can I say...I like buttons. :histerica

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
The electric ones seem to have problems more often than the manual ones. I had a manual one that I couldnt shift into 4 lo and I had to get a new shift mechanism from the jy that worked. When I pulled the old oone out I realized it was pretty much rusted shut. So now when I am under the truck working on it I just squirt some WD 40 in there to be sure it doesnt bind up like that again.

Takes me 25 seconds once a month.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Either works, i prefer manual.

If you get electric be sure to engage and disengage it at least once a month, more often is better. the motors and connections are prone to corrode and lock up when under utilized.

Mechanical linkages can bind and break, but if a mechanical linkage wears out you pull it out, weld the holes shut, redrill them round, put in new bushings, and you're set for all of $10 and an afternoons work once every 20 years.

Both systems will show their strengths and weaknesses when you need them most, and from my expereinces i stick manual. at least in a bind you can stick your arm under there with a big screwdriver and get yourself going again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts