Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 91 f250 with automatic transmission manual transfercase and automatic hubs. I put it in 4wd tge other day to cross a field. Now its out of 4wd but sometimes i take off and I begin to hear a grinding noise. Sounds exactly like metal dragging on pavement. Then when I drop below 5-10mph I get a LOUD clunk that sounds like a brick got kicked up and hit the bbottom of the truck. Its hard to explain but its intermittent and usually only does it for the first drive aftersisitting for an hour then it doesn't do it anymore until I shut it off and let it sit for about an hour. I'm completely lost.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You do not get this noise or grinding.. or anything like it.. when in 2wd?

If so:

It only does this sometimes, when you first move the vehicle after it has been sitting for at least an hour.
Does it do this going forward or in reverse? Do the grinding sounds seem like they are under the seat or to the front or rear?

Have you checked the u-joints, especially the front driveshaft joints?

I'd recommend not driving this until you find the problem, not to overstate the obvious, but loud bangs or grinding noises are not 'Good Things' and often are precursors to personally emotional events... Eh? :)

Nick

·
Use the Force...
968 Posts
You do not get this noise or grinding.. or anything like it.. when in 2wd?

If so:

It only does this sometimes, when you first move the vehicle after it has been sitting for at least an hour.
Does it do this going forward or in reverse? Do the grinding sounds seem like they are under the seat or to the front or rear?

Have you checked the u-joints, especially the front driveshaft joints?

I'd recommend not driving this until you find the problem, not to overstate the obvious, but loud bangs or grinding noises are not 'Good Things' and often are precursors to personally emotional events... Eh? :)

Nick
:stupid If you have grinding and could possibly be anything in the tranny, I would not drive it until you diagnosed the problem. Trans issues are the absolute worst...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It only does it in 2wd I don't drive it that fast in 4x4. I dropped it off at an alignment shop and the guys thinking its the hub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts