Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, :)

I got an 89 Bronco XLT with a 5.0, automatic transmission and automatic 4wd and auto locking hubs. The fella I bought it from disconnected the 4wd button for some reason and installed a button or something underneath the truck to activate the 4wd.

I’m trying to re-connect the 4wd system but am not sure where to begin? I haven’t really been able to find much on google and couldn’t really find anything through the search function here. If anyone has a link I missed or any advice on where to start and what to look for I’d be very appreciative!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
Welcome!

I'm not sure about the wiring but someone will surely chime in shortly with the diagrams.

However, be prepared for issues. I can't imagine someone would replace a perfectly functioning button with something customized. So there was probably an issue they couldn't or didn't want to bother fixing. Good luck, and let's see some pics of this ride.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,637 Posts
installed a button or something underneath the truck to activate the 4wd.
That sounds like it might be a "Shiftster". Pic below. Originally electronic shift t-cases come with an electric motor that rotates a shaft going into the t-case. There can be several different things that affect proper operation.

The "Shiftster" is a locking knob that replaces that motor & system. To use it you have to reach under the truck. It's pretty simple & reliable, but not convenient in foul weather.

If that has been installed, you will need a replacement motor to get the electronic system working. Plus repair anything else that may have been broken before the motor was removed.

I think the first step is to look & see if the motor is still there, or if you just find a knob.

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
Yo AlbinoSasquatch
Welcome to FSB!

1356 Electric Shift Speed Sensor Wiring Diagram

Source: by Ford via Dustin S (Dustball, Mellow Yellow, Mr. Laser Boy)
•••
More by Ford in 1989 EVTM;

●□●

Here is some info for you; 1989 EVTM, Emissions & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for the table of contents, search feature, etc.

1989 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1989 Ford Bronco

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary @ Lubricant Specifications

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96), same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

For any Bronco questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search.
See more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

See our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests:
You will get ideas by those competing.
Also see the prizes! They are freaking awesome⚠

Al

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,637 Posts
Thank you for the welcomes! And the help! You guys rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, some of us rock, some of us mud, & some of us go fast. :toothless

1 - 7 of 7 Posts