Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 95 bronco how do i know if my hubs are locked? do they do it automaticly when I press the 4x4 button or do i have to lock it manually?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Do your hubs say Automatic 4x4 or have a thing you can turn to say lock. If you try to turn sharp with the 4x4 on and you basically can't your 4x4 is working.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
So first you find a little mud, and drive in just a little ways.

Next, turn the wheel all the way to the right.

Now open the drivers window and stick your head out so you can see the tread clearly, while you punch it to see if the front wheel spins.

Should work fine. :toothless

(or just do what Gunner said)

·
Administrator
22,853 Posts
mcaldwell said:
So first you find a little mud, and drive in just a little ways.

Next, turn the wheel all the way to the right.

Now open the drivers window and stick your head out so you can see the tread clearly, while you punch it to see if the front wheel spins.

Should work fine. :toothless

(or just do what Gunner said)
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica plus take video so the rest of us can see if it is working also.

·
TTB Will Survive
247 Posts
Besides the great advice that has been given and even taking a video of it (that would be awesome to see! hee/hee), you are not guaranteed that they will always lock in. Automatic is a great idea, but unfortunately as I and others have experienced, it sometimes does not engage and it seems to happen when I am on ice or something fun like that. Mile Marker makes some manual locking hubs for 60-100$ depending on the model you want.

If you go to the snow for example, you can lock your hubs and then when you need the four wheel drive, hit the 4X4 button and you can be assured that your hubs are engaged. You can do this mod in an afternoon. It would be good to learn as it is also good idea to re-pack your bearings if you go through water (rivers, large deep mud holes, etc..).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts