Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the forum guys, thanks! Been a longtime reader but just now registered. My 1980 FSB is my pride and joy but the engine is dying. I have decided (please don't try to talk me out of this) that I'm going to replace it with a Coyote Crate motor. I know this will be expensive and difficult and I accept that.

I've done some research and seen them in classic bronco's but not in the post 1980 FSB's (with the exception of this beast http://mikeshouts.com/1991-ford-bronco-project-fearless/).

I'm wondering what kind of parts I'll need? What headers will fit? Can I use my existing manual tranny or if I upgrade are there rugged 6 speeds I can use? I'd like to get this all planned/priced out before I begin. Of course I'll share pics and whatever I learn along the way.

Anyone seen this done before? Can you provide pics? Links? Detailed instructions?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hope you do this. The wiring/gauges would be what I would be worried about.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,982 Posts
I "think" you will be fine with the trans you have. You will need basically what is needed to swap one into a fox body mustang for what they use on the trans. I think you will also want to get the hotrod 5.0 kit as it comes with a simplified harness and ecm situation that does not require disabling the PATS stuff or anything like that.
I think this is a great idea and have been looking into it myself. The only thing keeping me from is the toy budget at the moment. I do not think it would be that difficult.
I think the hardest part in the 80 would be upgrading the fuel system.

Just run a set of aftermarket gauges and you should be set there

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your tranny probably won't bolt up. A coyote 302 has nothing common with our generation of small block fords except the displacement. You'll need a transmission with whatever bolt pattern the modular fords use.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
I hope you do it! It will be fun to watch.
You will need the control pack kit with ecu

You could conceivably pull parts out of a 5.0 f150 at a junk yard. Wiring, gauges and such.

You could also get a raptor drop out engine/trans/transfer case. Ive seen them on ebay all under 10k. includes all the wiring and ecu too most of the time.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you're going to buy a Coyote crate motor then I'd spend the money and get a modern transmission that it's naturally mated with. I bet if you hang around the local wrecker you can find a newly totaled vehicle that you could pull that almost-new transmission out of for cheap.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wrecking yard is good advice. On the lookout for 5.0 coyote with manual trans.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, see now this Tranzilla is used in lots of applications and is a version of the Tremec t56.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok list for 302 to Coyote swap...

5.0 Coyote (used, F150 wrecking yard motor) - $2.75K
Coyote ECU - $1,500
In Tank High Pressure Fuel Pump - Edelbrock - $150 (155L/Hr minimum at 55psi)
Inline Fuel Pressure gauge - $40
Fuel Lines - $200
Coyote Manual Transmission Engine Plate - BC Broncos - $40
New Radiator (optional) - $200
Electric Cooling Fans/wiring - $400

Known Unknowns.
Motor Mounts? Any chance that Coyote will line up? If not what motor mounts will we need?
Bellhousing? $500? This is my biggest unknown now. Any chance the stock one would bolt up? Assume not, researched this extensively and not sure what will work?
Transmission - it's my strong preference to keep the current Borg Warner T-18 manual 4 speed and transfer case. Both have been rock solid so far.

Unknowns
Am I going to have to cut frame?
Can I still power up the headlights etc with the existing electrical system.
What kind of headers might fit in this setup?
Anywhere to find really in depth CAD drawings of full size bronco's to plan this better
If I'm light on the gas the pedal can that transmission and transfer case handle the motor?

Things that don't matter
AC/Heat
OEM Gauges working.
Emissions (anything will be cleaner the 302 in there now)

What am I forgetting?

Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
motor mounts will likely have to be custom fabricated.

some frame cutting should be expected, but you will never know till you try it.

dumb electric circuits should still work. however, your cluster is a whole nother matter.

as far as headers, you will have to call around and get some measurements and see what you think.

ive never seen cad drawings of the bronco.

you should be ok with the tranny and xfer case.

you will have lots of wiring issues, i hope you have some good diagrams.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for input. I don't have good wiring diagrams, ideas on where to find that?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess that fly by wire pedal comes with the ECU, same with the airflow box. Will likely add some kind of intake routing when I get it running.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Love the forum guys, thanks! Been a longtime reader but just now registered. My 1980 FSB is my pride and joy but the engine is dying. I have decided (please don't try to talk me out of this) that I'm going to replace it with a Coyote Crate motor. I know this will be expensive and difficult and I accept that.

I've done some research and seen them in classic bronco's but not in the post 1980 FSB's (with the exception of this beast http://mikeshouts.com/1991-ford-bronco-project-fearless/).

I'm wondering what kind of parts I'll need? What headers will fit? Can I use my existing manual tranny or if I upgrade are there rugged 6 speeds I can use? I'd like to get this all planned/priced out before I begin. Of course I'll share pics and whatever I learn along the way.

Anyone seen this done before? Can you provide pics? Links? Detailed instructions?
Soooo, everyone here is assuming that you have a 302-351W in your truck. Most 1980 broncos came with the 351M and the 351M has the 429-460 bell housing pattern. Could be a bit of an issue for you.

Also, beware of coil on plug engines with vertical spark plug holes. These tend to fill with water and mud causing misfires!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Soooo, everyone here is assuming that you have a 302-351W in your truck. Most 1980 broncos came with the 351M and the 351M has the 429-460 bell housing pattern. Could be a bit of an issue for you.

Also, beware of coil on plug engines with vertical spark plug holes. These tend to fill with water and mud causing misfires!!
Thanks for the info on coils, oddly the engine is a 302 v8 not a 351.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im also in the process of doing the same swap in my 92 bronco. I am also going to need some help with the wiring. I have all ready purchsed the engine and transmission. I went with the 4R70w trans that came off a 4.6 b/c it has the same bolt pattern down side to this is the stand alone computer that is required and to my knowledge no one makes a stand alone for the new 6speed trans yet. If you get the ford racing control pack for at motor, the kit comes with everything you need to get that motor up and going. At least with electronics. Another thing to consider is the power steering pump and alternator. You will have to fab your own brackets to use your current stuff. Ford racing offers a power steering pump bracket but it is designed to be used with the 05-10 mustang pump, and it relocates it to the passenger side, so custom lines to the steering box. There is a company called Power By The Hour (pbhperformance.com) that caries the bracket kit for all the accessories, it is a little pricey and/but it use 96-04 mustang accessories. Just a little more info for you if you didn't already know. Glad to see im not the only one crazy enough to try this swap:beer. will definetly be watching this build

1 - 20 of 292 Posts