Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

281 - 292 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
So, anyone have thoughts on what the max towing capacity of this truck would/should be? I have a boat that's 26ft long and weights 5400lbs, trailer is probably another 1000lbs. I am confident I can pull it but will I be able to stop it or turn it? Thoughts? Advice?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You have the right idea - the real limitation will still be brakes and steering/stability. You should be fine up to around 7000lbs if you kit it up like the late 80s, early 90s heavy tow package Broncos - which had a ~7000lb tow limit. You will especially need the anti-roll bars from one of them and a brake upgrade would be a really, really good idea even if you don't tow. Cooling upgrades for well, everything, would be a good idea. Make sure you fit trailer sway control devices - the Bronco's short wheelbase will do you no favors in that respect either.

·
Registered
659 Posts
@djyaz
Are you still running 3.25 in the back?
I'd think that's kind of a low # for 33" tires and an engine with most of its power in the mid/upper range.
Kinda curious if you upgraded to 3.73 or 4.10 if you'd still need to use low-drive as much.

I'm looking at an engine-less Bronco and kinda reading Coyote threads to see if it's something I'd consider over a 408 stroker.
I already know I want that newer 6 speed auto tranny or better yet, the 10 speed.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just noticed this is in the newbie forum?
Could be time to move it to the regular forum, no?! :p

·
Registered
659 Posts
Does anyone know if Cruise Control can be retrofit with the Coyote swap on our Broncos?
I discovered the Ford "Control Pack" for Coyote swap does NOT SUPPORT cruise control.
So a full harness & ECM from the original Mustang or F150 donor will be needed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
@djyaz
Are you still running 3.25 in the back?
I'd think that's kind of a low # for 33" tires and an engine with most of its power in the mid/upper range.
Kinda curious if you upgraded to 3.73 or 4.10 if you'd still need to use low-drive as much.

I'm looking at an engine-less Bronco and kinda reading Coyote threads to see if it's something I'd consider over a 408 stroker.
I already know I want that newer 6 speed auto tranny or better yet, the 10 speed.
Ratio is 4.25 oddly and I use the ZF S47 5 speed manual. I only use low range in only the absolute most sketch nearly vertical uphill sand situations or pulling our boat out of the water. Even then I could probably get away without it but it’s handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Does anyone know if Cruise Control can be retrofit with the Coyote swap on our Broncos?
I discovered the Ford "Control Pack" for Coyote swap does NOT SUPPORT cruise control.
So a full harness & ECM from the original Mustang or F150 donor will be needed.
No clue

·
Registered
852 Posts
Successfully got 7,000lb up and over mt hood in Oregon. Before the trip I upgraded the shocks and got Brembo rotors on the front. Anti roll bars were already in the vehicle. Thanks for the feedback guys!

free picture upload
that thing is bad ass but youve scared me away from the coyote route... The price tag is wayyy out of my budget

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
that thing is bad ass but youve scared me away from the coyote route... The price tag is wayyy out of my budget

Yeah the motors and ECU have gone up a lot. It was less when I did this, but yes still not cheap.

281 - 292 of 292 Posts