Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I'm having my my truck looked at for low oil pressure problems and a loud tapping. Mechanic friend thinks it may be a spun bearing. But he's gonna dig in and find out. Just in case it is a bearing, I've been pricing long blocks to drop in and since I may have to do that, it has me wondering, what would I need to swap from a 5.0 to a 5.8? I know it will physically drop in with no changes to anything but I'm wondering about sensors and such. I'm gonna keep the speed density system, I think. I wish I had the time to do it myself but at least this way, I know it'll be right. If I missed anything, please let me know.

Any help, opinions, input, and words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I decided to just go ahead and keep things simple and just a new 5.0 back in. But I'm gonna paint it all up before it goes back in. So I figured I'd ask, what are some popular color combinations for the block, valve covers and maybe the intake manifold. Or at least, what colors were used by ford. I'm not picky about having a color scheme from another era in a truck from a different area. I just figured I'd ask. Any input would appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
A color is like a girlfriend, what do you like to look at? Stock is ford blue. As far as the 302/351 thing, well, cubes are always nice, but really, the 5.8 is about a dog anyway so considering that the intake manifold isnt the same, I'd keep it simple like you said. But a pair of better heads and a slightly above stock cam would be useful. Your cam selection is limited and there are a bunch of threads on cams here if you get curious. A strong 302 is great. easier the better. I like driving them a lot more than dumping money and time into working on them myself.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Stock engine color is actually Ford gray for the block/heads and sheet metal parts. The aluminum parts, manifolds, brackets etc were not painted.
Steve83 actually has some really good pics on his Supermotors page
But like Nukem said, paint it whatever you want

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah my only thought was the grey and Ford blue. Just didn't know if there was any color Ford used that I was unaware of. Probably will just gobwith blue and grey. Blue block, intake man, and water pump and great valve covers maybe. Idk

·
Registered
402 Posts
;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YeaH I just picked up Ford Blue engine enamel and I'm just gonna spray the block and valve covers. Gonna be plain but good looking.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the engine arrived at the shop this morning. We stuck a boroscope? I think, in the spark plug hole and we saw that the pistons are marked .040 over. Heads have a 3 angle valve job. With everything else being stock, any clue how much hp I might have with 308 and slightly smoother/better flowing heads?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts