Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to do an engine swap with my 5.0ho mustang, putting the ford gt40 crate engine into the stang for a couple of extra horses without the milege, was wondering if it would be worth swapping the old HO motor into the bronco and just bolting the bronco intake on instead of the stangs,
Stangs got just over 100k on it with little to no problems, just burns through a little oil, broncos got 140k with leaky valve gaskets, not great oil pressure and the power doesn't seem to be really coming in till 2500
would i run into problems since its going from a T5 set up to a E4OD in the bronco, and would it be worth doing the swap

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,130 Posts
all you would need to do is change flywheel to flexplate, pull the pilot bearing out of the crank and swap your intake and drop her in. I think that I personally would do it if I had the time otherwise I would wait until it really needed it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i figures that much, and i'll gasket port the heads and intake while there out to, keeping the s.d system tho, will the ho set up screw with that, the stangs maf, also are the injector sizes in the mustang and bronco the same

if i could get a tubular (gt40 intake) would that be better over the stock broncos (or better yet would the stock ho intake be an upgrade also)

·
Registered
547 Posts
looking to do an engine swap with my 5.0ho mustang, putting the ford gt40 crate engine into the stang for a couple of extra horses without the milege, was wondering if it would be worth swapping the old HO motor into the bronco and just bolting the bronco intake on instead of the stangs,
Stangs got just over 100k on it with little to no problems, just burns through a little oil, broncos got 140k with leaky valve gaskets, not great oil pressure and the power doesn't seem to be really coming in till 2500
would i run into problems since its going from a T5 set up to a E4OD in the bronco, and would it be worth doing the swap
why swap? Save time and put the GT40 Crate engine in the Bronco...:thumbup

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why swap? Save time and put the GT40 Crate engine in the Bronco...:thumbup
cough...cough...mustangs better...cough

personally prefernce, i drive the stang, broncos the g/f daily drive,

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ya, I would pop it in there. Easy swap, mostly the same motor, just diferent cam. Bet you like the extra power also.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would the ho intake work better then the broncos efi intake, and does anyone run the cobra/gt40 intakes, im putting the typhoon(elderbrock 2) intake on the stang so ill have a spare and the cobras are 200 dollars cheaper then the only performance intake ive seen for the bronco

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
No. The factory 5.0L truck intake manifold is good.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, would it benefit from basic gasket porting, or just leave it as is?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
With factory E7TE heads? Not really worth doing any gasket matching. Save that for making competition engines when you're trying to eek every last ounce of HP out of it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(like my stang)

thanks guys, wont be doing the swap till august but planning everything out and realized i should put the engine to good use (was thinking about trying to build into some dune buggy/gokart but i think this might make more sense
thanks for all help, with the HO cam/firing order will i run into problems with the broncos SD and whats the power increase over the non HO, i imagine not much

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dont worry about porting. The heads are the bottle neck. I port matched mine, but I am also running ported 351 heads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts