Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello FSBroncos
Im wondering what engine you would suggest to put in my 85 4x4 xlt, I have many options but and think of an 5.4 triton from a 99 or 5.4 from a 05. Im hoping you can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I agree. My folks have a 2000 expedition with a 5.4 and it pulls like shit. It bogs down going up hills and gets terrible gas mileage( but that's relative) and has a few quirks such as; exhaust manifold leaks and spark plug blow outs.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Later 5.4 has the 3-valve heads. I've toyed with the idea myself. Very costly to get it to work right. Also, torque to the wheels relative to the gearing. My 5.8 has gobs of torque down low, but it pulls even better with the 3.73 gears and 31" tires. Many of the later trucks still have anywhere gears in the ranges of 3.45, 3.08, or even 2.73s. A friend of mine had a 2000 supercrew with the 4.6 and was a slug. Would've pulled alot better with 3.73 or 4.10 gears. On another note, they certainly make alot of go-fast goodies for the Triton. How much cash you got to blow?

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
apart from what the others have said... a 5.4 (or 4.6) is a big motor. Dimentionally, it's taller, wider and maybe longer than a big block 460.

But go for it! Everyone asks about the mod-motor swaps, but very few actually go through with it :thumbup

·
Registered
3 Posts
5.4 not bottom end

You would be much happier if you installed a 351w or 400m/460, the cost and headache of installing that 5.4 is not worth it. 5.4 is and ohc type engine more midrage or passing gear type power. Besides for the price and time of install your could do both 460 bb swap and axle ratios!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Yeah, I'm with the other guys. I love my 351M (although you would probably opt for the Windsor).

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
I think the main issue is how much of the motor you have to work with. If its just the motor, probably not worth the mulah. But if you have a whole donor vehicle and reasonable fab skills/tools, it wouldnt be so bad. Its actually been done before: http://home.comcast.net/~qcrispin/bronco/
He did way more than I would, but its neat. Makes plenty of power, also. You have to figure those "slow" Expys weigh a lot more than an old Bronco, plus the aforementioned gearing issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replys.

I am really looking for good highway mileage because the 351w 2bbl + the 7in lift makes 8mpg . So Then only thing I do with the bronco is mud with it(it is parked next to the mud hole allways:cry)

The 351w is great for mudding but I want it to be great for both highway and mud!

If I could get better fuel mileage then I would drive it more and put more money in to it. I guess what I really need is an overdrive gear(not sure what to swap in for my auto or if it would really be worth it)

I am planning to swap in a 2004+ dash to bring the interior to life.

I have a 99 FX4 5.4 (whole truck with 20,000 Frame Damage) and have been doubting the swap because im not sure if the 99 5.4 will work with the 04+ dash So im thinking of selling the truck and getting a newer model but I never do anything with out someone else's opinion.

As for money no issue here I sell cars I build all day long and have been wanting a 5.4 so that I can put a lightning SC on there once it gets running.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Find a 7.3 power stroke and put it in there,i've read quite a few swaps of people doing that.Great fuel mileage and all the torque you could ever need.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Find a 7.3 power stroke and put it in there,i've read quite a few swaps of people doing that.Great fuel mileage and all the torque you could ever need.
A diesel! Your brilliant. Im seriously going to look in to this.

Also does anyone know of a place that makes custom motor mount brackets, I have welded plenty but have heard that someone builds them.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
We have a 2005 supercrew 5.4 4x4. Its fast, you can drive 90 mph all day and it feels like you are going 55. Great running engine, but the way ford setups up the new trucks it doesn't have the low end stump pulling power like the efi 302 and 351W have. The 5.4 is very complicated, I don't know about using it in the mud...it's mainly controlled by electronics... the gas pedal isn't even cable controlled anymore. Plan to spend time getting everything perfect.. I know it may be possible to get it to run in a bronco.. but How well can you make it work is the big question.

·
Premium Member
1987 Bronco 351W, C6
1,378 Posts
If mileage is a big worry- just swappin in a 5.4 won't help. I think the Expys get about 12mpg even with the weak gearing. What kind of tranny do you have? You might also do better with a small 4bbl, 600cfm or so.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Hmm... my '95 351W with 4.56 gears and 35" tires gets about 13 mpg on the highway whereas my '04 2wd F150 with a 4.6 only gets 17mpg. I'm not sure i'd go to all that trouble just for 4mpg.

How about converting your 351 to EFI and put in an overdrive transmission?

·
Registered
465 Posts
We have a 2005 supercrew 5.4 4x4. Its fast, you can drive 90 mph all day and it feels like you are going 55. Great running engine, but the way ford setups up the new trucks it doesn't have the low end stump pulling power like the efi 302 and 351W have. The 5.4 is very complicated, I don't know about using it in the mud...it's mainly controlled by electronics... the gas pedal isn't even cable controlled anymore. Plan to spend time getting everything perfect.. I know it may be possible to get it to run in a bronco.. but How well can you make it work is the big question.
My dads got an 04 with the 5.4 2wd, and yea that thing will move. Ive had her on the speed limiter at 94mph and you could have a normal conversation with someone at the same time. The one thing i hate though is that damn fly by wire throttle setup they got. You lose that "driving by the seat of your pants" feeling you get with driving our broncos. The new trucks are more gradual and smooth with how they accelerate. The 5.4 has a ton more power than my 5.0 but my 5.0 feels a hellova lot faster than my pops 5.4, yet i wouldnt dare race him, maybe drag him around the backyard but not race him.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,875 Posts
locate a cummins 4bt motor out of a bread truck. run a turbo on it and be done. it will get in the hi teens in town for mileage and have over 300lbs of torque easy. hp would be about 200 if i recall

·
Registered
636 Posts
My '95 averages 14 on or off the highway. F/I is the way to go. On my trip from NM to AL, I got about 14.5. And that was at 80 MPH. Alot of it is in how you drive it.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
How about converting your 351 to EFI and put in an overdrive transmission?
:stupid x1000001^n :D

The fuel injection upgrade alone will make you LOVE your truck again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts