Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Air pump delete on my truck.Ford has a bypass idler for 96 F-150 5.8L with Cali emmisions.They are obsolete from Ford. Does the Mustang off road bypass fit onto the 5.8L bracketry and work?

I know I am going to get harrased on this but the pipes and hoses all melted when I installed the headers....so I removed it all.....along with my a/c.

Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
I couldn't get the shorter belt to work, but i have a '93......I think the tensioner and idlers pulleys are in a different location.

The 93.75" was just a tiny bit too short to squeeze on, even with a lot of encouragement (plus I saw a burned up alternator in the future if it did go on). The next size I could get was 94.5" or so (these could be a little off) and it was too long.....the belt came off a couple times when I turned the A/C on.

Anyway, my stock setup is like this:

By bypassing the smog pump with this arrangement, the tensioner pulley (which moves left/right) only tightens/loosens the belt half as much as stock, so the belt that seemed to fit perfectly wouldn't tighten up enough and kept slipping off. :doh0715:

Vince

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
Yeah my tensioner is (was) on the top... but it shouldn't matter. The belts come in much smaller increments then what you found. You can purchase them in 1/2" increments. I know from resizing. First I deleted the smog pump and had to fit that, then I changed to a large case alternator and had to fit for that, then I did an under drive pulley kit and had to re-fit for that and finally changed from a large case 165a alt to a 250a 3G alt and had to re-fit it again.

I don't recommend Autozone for anything really except belts. I would buy them two at a time. You have to tell the parts guy to just go look and not look them up for a specific vehicle. The number on the belt is the length in inches and the # of grooves. Like a 922k6 is a 92.2 inches and 6 Grooves...

If you can't get any of that to work (but there is NO reason why you shouldn't be able to) you can get a manual tensioner/alternator mount from Summit racing for $40. Its a long bolt for the Alt pivot some alum. bracketry and a double heim joint adjusting bar. I'm running one of those now and it hasn't given me any trouble..

edit: one more note to save you a some $$$. The belts go up in price with no Rhyme or Reason. Like a 922k6 will be $29.99 then a 935k6 will be $10.99... Then the next two you buy may be either of the two prices. The prices don't go up with length like you'd think they would. I think if you hit on a belt that fits and it happens to be the correct belt for some other vehicle that is when you get the high price. When you hit on one that doesn't fit anything in particular the price is cheaper... So when I fit mine I'd get it dead on then if it was one of the expensive belts I'd buy one either one size up or down and save $15.00...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I went to the local O'reilly and Advance Auto and even through the belts were supposed to be in 1/2" increments, when measured with the belt measure tool, they weren't. Between the two stores I just couldn't find one that worked right.

The picture shows that the belt wraps around both sides of the tensioner stock, and only one side when the smog is bypassed, so the tensioner now adjusts the belt slack by less than 1/2" instead of at least 1". So, with the longer belt I purchased, the tensioner didn't take up enough slack. And with the shorter belt, I had the tensioner all the way in the loose position and couldn't quite get the belt on.

You are exactly right about the belt prices! The stock 102" for mine was almost $40.00, the 92" was $20, and the price went down incrementally to $16 at 95"!!!!

Anyway, I just got the smog delete idler off eBay and it works great, plus I just re-used my old belt.

Vince

btw: you like my little picture? I'm pretty proud of myself.....:toothless

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah.The pic is good.

So I have bypassed the air pump and I am running a shorter belt. The problem is that the distance between the crank to tentioner causes the belt to move towards the engine and will fall off. This happends when it is anywhere from -10 to -35 degrees celcius.Winter is a pain in the ass to get the truck to run properly without the belt. I have replaced the tentioner and the idler pullies and it does not help at all.I just want to know that if I go with the Ford Motorsport smog bypass pulley (or any aftermarket one) if that will bolt up and work.

If anyone has or goes to wreaking yards and finds one of these stock bypass pullies off of a 1996 California emmisions 5.8L....I would be willing to buy it within reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts