Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I do a 5 lug to 8 lug swap on my 44 I hear that there's clearance issues with a 15 inch rim, and I want to order a set of the Staz works beadlocks and have them by the time I do the SAS/10.25 swap, what size wheel will I have to run?? I'd really like to stay with 15's so I can use the swampers I've got instead of buying new ones, but like I said it seems like someone said they won't fit, I just wanted definate conformation from someone who's done the swap...:shrug
Thanks guys!:beer

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Depends on what you mean by 8-lug. Chevy parts or Ford? The older Ford stuff is pretty damn big.... you'd be better off with 16" or larger wheels, IMHO. You *can* fit it with little bs, but it's not necessarily worth it.

Chevy stuff fits with a minimum of grinding. I used to run 15x8" 4"BS on Chevy 8-lug.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I was thinking that 16" was as low as I could go...seboh, I'm gonna run older Ford shit (or thats the plan as long as the bolt pattern is the same as a '92 10.25) :shrug

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks seboh I new the '98 up was metric but wasn't sure about other years...:beer

Damn, I sure was hoping to get around buying new tires too....two words for ya...money...pit! :banghead

Oh well we love 'em!:toothless

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lug size is fine...it's alot easier to carry a handfull extra lugnuts in the trail box than it is to carry two spares.:toothless Thanks, Dustin..I guess that means I can go with 16's then?? Are you still in on the Staz buy???:shrug Thats basicly why I'm getting this info ready so I'll have my shit together when we get ready to order...:thumbup

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
yeah 16s will fit, I know that for sure.

Im in on the staz works still, but I can wait til everyone is ready so we can get the best deal. I ended up getting a set of 35mtr today cause I wouldnt be able to even get 37s til someitme next year.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
10.25 lugs should be 9/16"

And it's plenty easy to swap the old style hubs up to 9/16"... just have them milled out to .600 and pound in the fat studs.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I researched and checked out BA's site ...lots a pics but not much talk...he tends to forget that he already knows what he's doing and assumes others know whats going on... :shrug I need more info...:toothless it might make more sence once I tear into them..

Hey Dustin...How many folks did we need to get the first price cut on the Staz's???

·
Registered
506 Posts
IMHO, go with 16s. I have the twin piston 250 brake stuff on mine and I can assure you that it would take a significant amount of grinding to get the 15s on and I have a fundamental problem in f'ing with the structural integrity of the front brakes.

My .02, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Stoked said:
your talkin about 8lug on a sas d44 right? you will be able to use a 15" rim if you get a heavier backspace and clearence the calipers (give it a good talk with mister Grinder!)
heres some articles.
http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/8lug/index.html

and you can look at Badass's page for his eightlug D44 front.
This is incorrect information. The page he's referencing uses the much more compact single-piston Chevy calipers. The Chevy stuff will clear 15" wheels with minimal, non-structural grinding.

The old, dual-piston Ford stuff that Blaze is likely to find for that D44 is not so easy to grind without losing structural integrity. Okay (maybe) for a trail-only Jeep, not okay for anything street-driven, especially a 6000# piggy.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
Crazed said:
Ummm.............Pics?
of what? the tires? nothing special there the same size:shrug

but just for you I will get a picture if it means the world to you:goodfinge

blaze I think there was 4 people wanting to buy, now who accually steps up with money is a different story. but that should give us 100 off a set

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Dustin said:
of what? the tires? nothing special there the same size:shrug

but just for you I will get a picture if it means the world to you:goodfinge

blaze I think there was 4 people wanting to buy, now who accually steps up with money is a different story. but that should give us 100 off a set
To Crazed, Pics are the world.

Blaze, When you do the swap im sure if you buy new tires, You will get your money out of the others..

If not, Just buy a plain steelie or something, and you'll always have a spare or 2. Unless you plan on runnig a different size...The your fawked and would be better off selling them for something fair.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
No need to buy new rims unless you want new rims!

I have an 8 lug Dana 44 on the front :cry of my Bronco with 44's and 15" rims. I have big dual piston calipers also. I use no back spacers and have deep rims. I did however spend a few hours with a grinder taking off some extra material mostly on the caliper bracket. Not enough to make much difference, but some. I also grinded off the corners on the brake pads that stick out and had to grind on the pin that holds it all together. If you have a few hundred bucks layin around buy new rims. (or send it to me. :crazy) If you have a day and a grinder do it the cheap way. If you grind them, paint the inside of your rim a bright color and your brake hardware black. If your rim flexes occasionally and you rub, next time you pull the wheel you will know where to grind on it. I seem to touch up mine everytime I pull the front tires. If you want pics PM me. Pulling 44's isn't fun, but I'll do it.

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
seboh said:
This is incorrect information. The page he's referencing uses the much more compact single-piston Chevy calipers. The Chevy stuff will clear 15" wheels with minimal, non-structural grinding.

The old, dual-piston Ford stuff that Blaze is likely to find for that D44 is not so easy to grind without losing structural integrity. Okay (maybe) for a trail-only Jeep, not okay for anything street-driven, especially a 6000# piggy.
yeah i know your right, thats why i also mention how BA did it (he used the dual piston calipers didnt he?)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts